Author Topic: Jane TREASURE/EMERY  (Read 13208 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Jane TREASURE/EMERY
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 March 10 13:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible death for John BAKER but it is such a common name and with a missing Christian name and an age difference from the marriage entry, it is hard to be sure  :-\

BAKER John Standley died 18 Jun 1886 Two Wells dist PtG 156 90. He was aged 68, married, relative Mary Ann BAKER wife. Residence Two Wells

there is a gravestone which lists him as John Stanley

http://headstones.weebly.com/two-wells.html

There is this possibility for Mary Ann...again not a perfect match and some distance from Two Wells  :-\

BAKER Mary Ann died 7 Aug 1908 hospital Adelaide Dist Ade 335 138. She was aged 85 a widow residence Strathalbyn

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 March 10 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to Kris, Debra & Annie.
I'll follow up the leads that you have given me and see where it goes.  Don't we all love to have characters like Jane in our trees!
Cheers
Bil
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline QLDtreasures

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jane TREASURE/EMERY + Mary Ann TREASURE (YOUNG BAKER RAFFERTY)
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 July 11 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Just a follow up on Mary Ann TREASURE.  It looks like she may have married again!

Quote from fiche -
     Mary Ann Stanley BAKER, 56 years, widow, father-Levi FRASER
     Married 27th Sept 1889  Christchurch, North Adelaide
     Edward RAFFALTAY, 47 years, single, father-Patrick RAFFALTAY

The gentleman she married could be Edward RAFFERTY.  Does anyone have more information on him or perhaps a burial for Mary Ann RAFFERTY?

Mary Ann also appears to have had a child - Susan Treasure BURRAGE with William BURRAGE in Islington, SA 1857. Susan died Pt Gawler 1868.

Regards,

Veanne Treasure
Bundy Au
Treasure/Emblin (Stoke Lane) Hiscox/Francis (Stoke Lane)  Hippisley/Plaister (North Wootton) Edwards/London (Taunton)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 July 11 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Ve
I agree, it looks like she married again.
Edward Rafferty died 7/12/1896 aged 56 in Adelaide.  Usual residence Adelaide; no relative recorded on reg of death.
Mary Ann's death was recorded under name of BAKER.  She died 7/8/1908 in Adelaide Hospital.  Usual residence Strathalbyn (SA); relative - John Baker.  Why wasn't 'Rafferty' used??
I have tried to find a burial place but have been unsuccessful to date.
And, yes, she did have another child (Susan).  I have also been unsuccessful in locating her burial place.
These Treasures are a colourful lot!
Cheers,  Bill.
PS: I originate from a small town in country SA and an old girl friend of mine married, you guessed it, a TREASURE, and my wife has recently established that, you guessed it again, he is related to me. (one of the Stoke Lane Treasures).  Scary, isn't it!
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),

Offline QLDtreasures

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 July 11 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill

You are a super slueth!!! Thanks for that, it is not easy for me to access the SA indexes from where I live.

She certainly was interesting wasn't she.

You know it really is a small world and after researching for a couple of years now, nothing surprises me much anymore.  I found my maternal cousin's husband is related to the Stoke Lane Hiscox/Francis side who married our Henry "George" Treasure and they live in New Zealand!

I hope you don't mind but I will pass on your findings to the other guys in our little research group and credit the find to yourself.

Step by Step, inch by inch we are getting the tree a little more complete.

Thanks heaps,

Vee

Treasure/Emblin (Stoke Lane) Hiscox/Francis (Stoke Lane)  Hippisley/Plaister (North Wootton) Edwards/London (Taunton)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 July 11 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hello again Vee
Have just located Mary Ann's grave site!  She is buried in West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide under name of M A Baker.  I will try and visit the cemetery today and post a photo on my 'on line family tree'.
It's interesting that her sister, Jane Treasure (my 3x ggrandmother) is buried in the same cemetery.
Thanks for prompting me to revisit Mary Ann.
Cheers, Bill
PS: If this message is posted twice in error; my apologies.

Offline QLDtreasures

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 July 11 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi again Bill

Actually, at second look, I am not sure that the Mary Ann BAKER death is her.  Anc*** has John BAKER listed as her father so she would have been a spinster and the age is out (abt 1823) but not by much.

I wonder if you will be able to sort it for sure with a visit to the cemetery.

Vee

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 July 11 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Vee
Yes, I noticed that as well.
On death reg. John Baker is listed as 'relative', which I took to mean not necessarily father (could be husband?) .  She is described as a 'Widow' (about 3 times over I reckon!) and age is only out 2 years, which I guess is not uncommon.
Only one thing to do - pay her a visit.
Cheers,  Bill.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 31 July 11 02:01 BST (UK) »
Perhaps there may be more available on Edward RAFFERTY's death certificate.

RAFFERTY Edward
7 Dec 1896  56 years  Status not known  Relative not recorded
Residence Adelaide  Death Place Adelaide  Ade S  239/351

S. Supplementary Information. Additional unusual information included such as:
·   Previous Residence Listed.
·   Length of Residence in Colony Stated.
·   Deceased Child's Father is Deceased.
·   Deceased Maiden Name is Listed.
·   Junior/Senior of Deceased is listed.
·   Younger Son
·   Prison
·   State Child.
·   Guardian Named.
·   Adelaide Destitute or Lunatic Asylum listed as Residence or Death Place.
·   Unusual Death or amount of information on circumstances of Death.
·   Sister of Church if known as -  religious name stated.
·   Fuller details available re deaths at sea - longitude and latitude.
·   Final names reduced to initials due to space problems
·   Remarriage on post 1906 registrations unusual enough to warrant this.

Mary Ann BAKER who died 9 Aug 1908 aged 85 years, is buried at West Terrace Cemetery, Section Road 1 South, Path#34, Grave#54.

The death registration for Mary Ann BAKER notes relative John BAKER [Deceased Husband].  I have seen the practice of reverting to a former married name following the death of a current spouse.  Perhaps the additional information on Edward's death certificate may be helpful ie perhaps items 7 or 10 on the list :-\   I wonder who was the informant on her death certificate.  It is possible that it wasn't known to the informant that Mary Ann was married Edward RAFFERTY for seven years.

How do you know the 1908 death is your Mary Ann TREASURE?  I note that Kris has a  :-\ [undecided]on her post.
The ages  vary on the civil regs - 44 in 1871, born c1827; 56 in 1889, born c1833 and 85 in 1908, born c1823.

Not many Edward RAFFERTY's in the SA records...wonder if this is your man :-\
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0egp/

Was initially only going to post Mary Ann BAKER's burial info ;D....I think I need to get a life :P

Good luck.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk