Author Topic: Starting Out - John Maguire/McGuire, Cavan Ire.  (Read 4240 times)

Offline stoves

• RootsChat Extra
  • Just diggin up the past... :D
    • View Profile
Starting Out - John Maguire/McGuire, Cavan Ire.
« on: Saturday 06 March 10 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

New to this and still finding my way about the site, some interesting and useful links. I have been tracing my family for a couple of weeks now and got of to a decent start due to some work already done, but now I have hit the brick wall i see mentioned and could do with some advice on where to go next.

I managed to Trace back to a George Wesley Maguire, Christened in Maghealin, Co. Down on 2.2.1851 I know he married a Mary Hendrie on 27.2.1871 at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, Calton, Glasgow. From this I go his parents names of John McGuire (Carter) and Margaeret MacGuire (nee Brown) They were married in Drung, Cavan on 7.2.1846.

I struggling to find the births or move on from this point either confirming George Wesleys birth date or any further connections around John and margaret. Any suggestions. Tracing the Scottish side was easier but hitting Ireland has stumped me.

Stevie
Maguire - Scot: Glagow/Coatbridge Ire: Cavan
Murray/Anderson - Coatbridge/Lanarkshire
Docherty - Scot: Coatbridge Ire: TBC

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Out - John Maguire/McGuire, Cavan Ire.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 March 10 18:35 GMT (UK) »
you might just be very lucky... full civil registration did not start in Ireland until 1864, but non-Catholic marriages were registered from 1846, and there's a possible match for the Drung marriage you mentioned on the Irish Civil BMD Index. The year is correct and the registration district fits.

Name: Margaret Browne
 Registration district: Cootehill
 Record type: Marriage
 year: 1846
 Volume: 4 / Page: 365

Name: John Maguire
 [same index details]

For earlier records you will need to investigate church records, but the details on this cert will be a great start. see the Ireland Resources section for topics on ordering certs etc.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline stoves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 March 10 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane...will check this out, very much appreciated.

Offline stoves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 March 10 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Another question if no one minds, I have looked the database Shane mentioned, the names are a match and the index values are the same bar the image number, could these relate to one marriage or would two image numbers mean two records, and is there a way to view the details online anywhere? E.g see the spouse information for each entry?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 March 10 20:49 GMT (UK) »
The image numbers are for LDS records and nothing to do with original civil index. The details needed for order certificates are those Shane listed- name, year (and quarter if any), registration district, volume and page numbers.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 March 10 20:50 GMT (UK) »
The details are not available on line you have to order a cert from the GRO to see the full information - see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline stoves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 March 10 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all...appreciated. Easier in Scotland where you can pay to see the records online through the Scotland's People site.