Author Topic: The Brennans of Kilbeggan Parish, Westmeath  (Read 4727 times)

Offline gelin5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Brennans of Kilbeggan Parish, Westmeath
« on: Sunday 07 March 10 20:25 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor, Patrick Brenan (apparently they spelled their name with one n but I'll use double n), was born in Kilbeggan in about 1808. He enlisted in Dublin in the 2nd Battalion of the Coldstream Guards in 1827, his battalion landed at Quebec in 1838, he transferred to the Royal Canadian Rifle Corps in 1841, and was "discharged as unfit for further service" in 1852 in Niagara after 25 years of service, 14 years of which were spent in Canada. He also spent some years in India, although I don't have much information yet about his service in India except that he was probably with the 100th Regiment of Foot.

Patrick married an Ann (possibly Ann Gilby) sometime before 1841 and they had the following (known) children: Hugh BRENNAN & Elizabeth BRENNAN (twins) b. 1841, Adelaide Constance BRENNAN b. 1844, and possibly James BRENNAN, 1853. All these children were born in Quebec and the family, minus James, is shown in the 1851 Canadian census. I am descended through Adelaide who married my soldier great-grandfather Matthew Green in 1860 in England, spent many years in India and retired to Tasmania, Australia.

Patrick retired to England, appears in the British 1861 & 1871 censuses and died in London in 1878.

Those military families were certainly globetrotters in those days!

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who can add to my database of Kilbeggan Brennans from the mid-1800's and earlier.

Although I've heard that Kilbeggan Parish was (is?) rich in Brennans, I hope to be able to form some family groups for the late 1700's.

Chris Green
(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Green (Leitrim, Ireland); Brenan (Westmeath, Ireland); Toms (Cornwall); Pye (Fifeshire, Scotland); Joyce (Ireland); McCormack (Tasmania, Australia); Hockin (Thornbury, Devonshire); Prout (Treneglos, Cornwall); McGregor (Caithness, Scotland); Primrose (Cramond, Scotland); Rankin (Cramond, Scotland); Thomson (Govan, Lanark, Scotland); Walker (Govan, Lanark, Scotland); Leggat (Edinburgh, Scotland); Simpson (Edinburgh, Scotland); Drury (Kent); Elgar (Kent); Amos (Kent); Swaine (Kent)

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Brennans of Kilbeggan Parish, Westmeath
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the church records for Kilbeggan don't begin until 1818 so you will find it extremely difficult to trace the family.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork