Author Topic: Where to start  (Read 1798 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Where to start
« on: Sunday 07 March 10 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Quite by chance I've stumbled upon an ancestor's record of his arrival back in England from Australia in 1949. The record shows that Australia was his last permanent place of residence and also shows his proposed address in England. His profession is shown as Seaman and there's a pencil line through his record.

I don't know how to follow up on this at all. He had obviously been living in Australia and according to the record, England was the place of his future permanent place of residence. Would he have been part of the ship's crew? I haven't been able to find an emigration record for him prior to this. Where can I find any records of his life in Australia?

I didn't know where to post this but thought I'd try here first. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. 
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 18:41 GMT (UK) »
No apologies for bumping my post up the board, I really hope someone who can help me will see it. I've made a little progress, I've found a couple of census entries that look likely but there doesn't seem to be any more information than name and occupation (He wasn't employed on the records I looked at).

Should I be putting this on a board that's more dedicated to Australia? I'm really struggling with this one, it's taken me out of my British comfort zone!  ???
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roobarb.

Not a very helpful response really but sometimes when there is a pencil line through the name on the passenger record it means they did'nt join the ship !!! So did he actually come here  ???
This thread has'nt had any response so far so asking for information on the Australian board may be helpful to you. Nothing ventured - nothing gained  ???
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Mmmmm, fair comment. I can't be certain he came to England at that time but I do know that he died here, and it was in the same area he was listed as heading for.

I'll try on the Oz board, thanks for your comments dettori.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roobarb
Posting on the Australia board is a good idea, there are some fantastic researchers there
and their knowledge is almost encyclopaedic and their research skills advanced.

However, please do give a name and anything else at all that you know....just makes it so much easier to help you.

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joy

His name was Hugh Lickess (a rather unusual surname so you'd expect it to be easy to trace) and he was born in Middlesbrough in 1894. I don't have his exact death details, just something from Ancestry that said it was in 1972 in Durham Western district - not a million miles from Middlesbrough, which is where he was supposed to be returning to. The censuses I've found were 1936 and 1937 in Dubbo, NSW, which state 'no occupation' but there's also an entry of the same name in Melbourne in 1936, occupation Radio Telegraphist. I suppose he could have had a son who was named after him. I never found any evidence of a marriage in England.

I'll give the Australia board a try and see if they can help. Thanks!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline jellybeans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roobarb,
Just saw your post and thought I would mention there is someone with the surname Lickiss still in Dubbo.
 I know the spelling is different, but do you think it is worth a try? I can pm you their addresses if you think writing to them may help?
 If not, nothing lost.
Regards,
Jellybeans
Lancashire, England: Barlow, Butterworth, Clegg,  Lord, Howarth, Morris, Peak, Pickup, Walker, Wilkinson.
Ayrshire Scotland: Dyet, Irvine.
Cornwall England: Cock.
Wexford Ireland:  Murphy.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 01:48 GMT (UK) »
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/RecordSearch.aspx

Hugh Lickess signed up for WWI in Australia; he was unmarried at this time (1915) and seems to have been living in Liverpool, NSW.
page 15 of his records shows that he was living in Melbourne in 1934 (statutory declaration that he lost his discharge papers in 1922 in Melbourne, he must have needed a new copy of them for some reason)

There's some more letters from 1945 regarding  the loss of his 1914-1915 star.  He is described  (page 25) as an inmate of Callon Park mental home (certified) and having no relatives in Australia.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The link below is to details of access to Callan Park patient records. It doesn't look very promising I'm afraid.

http://www.callanpark.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/patient-records-information-arch85.pdf

Andy