Author Topic: Pepper family  (Read 2171 times)

Offline johnnieb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pepper family
« on: Monday 08 March 10 04:51 GMT (UK) »
my great-aunt jane anne byrne married james pepper, a soldier in the british army, in 1884 at gibraltar. they had at least two girls, catherine and violet who were born in cyprus and malta.
presumably the family moved back to england or ireland after 1891 and i know nothing more about them.
if anybody can help i would be most grateful, john byrne

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pepper family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 March 10 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Can't see them in 1911 Irish census but you can check youself in case I missed them-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

I did find Violet May PEPPER birth Oct./Dec.1889 Malta in Irish Civil Index! There's also an Edith Lily 1891 Malta, Alice Lillian (c1889-1889 Malta)-
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=collectionDetails
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline robesur

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 10 09:15 GMT (UK) »
I can see the following two births in the Army overseas records. Catherine Maud Pepper, Cyprus, 1887, AB1886-90Pdfp25, Page 106 and Violet May Pepper, Malta,1889, AB1886-90Pdfp25, Page 91.
I cannot see them in the English Census 1901 or 1911. or marriages in England & Wales. There is a marriage near Colchester for a Violet M Pepper in 1925 but there was a local girl of that name b.1899.

Offline johnnieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 04:40 GMT (UK) »
thank you, aghadowey and robesur, for your prompt and informative replies to my query regarding jane and james pepper.
jane was roman catholic but james may have been protestant. would this change the conditions for the search in ireland?
i will try to follow up on edith lilly and alice lillian. they are news to me.
thanks once again, john byrne

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Hiya John....have PM`d you....allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 07:44 GMT (UK) »
If the couple were of different religions it does widen the choise of churches to check for baptisms, etc. However, registration of all births, deaths and marriages in Ireland started in 1864 but non-Catholic marriages (including Registry Office ones) started in 1845.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline johnnieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 05:09 GMT (UK) »
aghadowey, i will have to check again at the cathedral here in gibraltar, but i am almost sure i was told james pepper was not catholic. i think james was of irish descent, born around 1864 and a soldier in the 66th regiment.
it may be that james and his family moved to england, since it appears that violet may, one of his daughters lived there and died in watford in 1973.
thanks for all your help, john