Author Topic: census, birth, death - Jessie & Marian HAMILTON (of Illabo)  (Read 12543 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: census, birth, death - Jessie & Marian HAMILTON (of Illabo)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 19:57 GMT (UK) »
6472/1876 for a Jessie HAMILTON, father's name recorded as BRISTOW (perhaps this could be a surname, but its listed as a first name), and mother's name as Mary.
just moi

His death

5845/1914     
HAMILTON  Bristow 88 years Albury       
District Albury

and I wonder if this is Mary's?

9001/1896     
HAMILTON  Mary
Father Martin  Mother Julia
District Albury

http://www.rootschat.com/links/086w/
In 1868 he contributed to a hospital fund.

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/keyname_search.asp
Assisted immigrant
HAMILTON   Bristowe   
29 years   ABYSSINIAN    1859   
Sydney and/or Newcastle
Comment - and brother   

Register of Police - NSW
HAMILTON Bristow   
b.1830 Ireland   
Appointed 30 Jan 1860

Can't see a marriage on the NSW indexes.

Were your HAMILTON's Irish?   

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 March 10 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at a publication
A History of the Illabo District - to commemorate the centenary of the Illabo Public School - 1884-1984.  I cannot see a publisher name though.

There is a section about Matthew (b 1827, Glasgow) and Margaret (nee HASTIE) HAMILTON who married in Dumfermline when Matthew was 25. They emigrated to Sydney with their first two children Thomas and Catherine in 1855, next child Margaret b in Sydney.  In 1856-7 they went to Aelong for gold, where 8 more children were born - Marion, John, Alison, Isabella, James, Jane, Elizabeth and Robert.  Most of these we have found in nSW BMDs.

Now the position of "Marion" in the list of children, along with the position of "Mary A" (reg at Tumut) in the family supports the idea that Mary A and Marion are the same person.

All of the later lives of these children are written up in this booklet except for Marion.
Some grandchildren names are mentioned but nothing of a Jessie at all.

I'll photocopy the page as it's interesting to read about the family and the properties.  You may even find a contact point in there if you are interested.  You need to PM me your postal address if you would like the photocopy. (Forgot to bring my  USB stick  :( )

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alli_burnie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 March 10 22:26 GMT (UK) »
This is brilliant brilliant brilliant :)

Judith - thank you.  I knew this book was at the NLA - but had never had a chance to visit and look at it.  I swore to my 'family source' that I would be requesting it next time I was in Canberra.

I know there is another publication there too about the history of Illabo - with interviews etc - authored by a Hamilton too (Helen?).  I need to look at that as well.

My 'family source' who I've been talking too is my mother - and she says thank you to everyone who has been posting their findings on this thread.  She's amazed at how generous you all are with you help.
Scotland to Illabo - Hamilton,
Scotland to Melbourne - Pullar,
London to Melbourne - Allison,
Cornwall to Maldon - Wearne,
Yorkshire? to Melbourne - Joseph Ralph Smith and Jessie Gibson,
England - Clissold, Brighton,
Boxsell, Bond

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 March 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the other publication but it was a collection of interviews with old-timers whose recollections only go back -obviously - within living memory (to about 1920s)  so there was nothing about your family there, except for one person who said his father told him about Matthew Hamilton selecting land. 

Just remembered - he did say that the Hamiltons selected all that they could, with Margaret and each of the children selecting a block which were then joined together.  Apparently the amount one person could select was limited, so this was a way around the limitation.  The only other comment was speculation about how Matthew made his money (gold?)which is covered in the photocopied article I found.

So I didn't copy that as the information was in the second article.  There are 3 Hamiltons at Illabo listed in the White Pages so you should be able to contact them.

Let me have your postal address and I'll send it off to you.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alli_burnie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 11 March 10 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Cando & JM - thanks for your leads!  This birth - the 1876 one for Jessie - causes me some angst!   I'm being told that I really should follow the Margaret and Matthew link - but this birth registration is difficult not to pay attention too.

Is it hardly surprising now that Jessie may have had a different set of parents listed on birth marriage and death certificate?  With the only consistency being that her mother's name always started with 'M'  :)
Boxsell, Bond

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 11 March 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Alli I only posted the information about Bristow HAMILTON to show he was Irish. Do you know the nationality of the HAMILTON family at Illabo to whom you think your Jessie belongs?

Cando

Offline alli_burnie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 11 March 10 23:37 GMT (UK) »

Cando - the only leads I have on Hamilton history (prior to Jessie) - are what Judith has posted above.  And it is looking very likely that they were Irish  - if the Margaret and Matthew line is correct.

Maybe the Bristow and Matthew/Margaret families were connected back in Ireland?  Quite possible.
Boxsell, Bond

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 March 10 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Also - a family member I just spoke too - maybe remembers that from a family reunion that the Hamilton history was known - but working out the exact connection between Jessie and other ancestors couldnt be made due to a lack of documentation.

Maybe the Matthew and Margaret we see are the right Hamilton's?

Does the above family member know the nationality of the Hamilton family?

There appear to be three publications about Illabo, including the one mentioned by Judith...held by the Wagga Family History Society
http://www.waggafamilyhistory.org.au

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 11 March 10 23:56 GMT (UK) »

Perhaps you  may like to search here for info for Matthew HAMILTON
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/keyname_search.asp

Cando