Author Topic: Anyone recognise this place?  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Salvia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recognise this place?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 10:15 GMT (UK) »
My first reaction was for N Herefordshire, too.   Pembridge area??

Salvia
COUTTS-Kincardine & Herts,  COWIE-Angus,
FINCH-Herts, HUNT-Bucks & Herts, HIGHAM-Northants,
LANE-Bucks, LOADER-Herts, POYNTER-Bucks & Liverpool,
SPENCER-Hampshire, Bucks to Herts, STOTT-Aberdeenshire,
THOMAS-Northants & Chelsea

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 13:02 GMT (UK) »
According to Wikipedia (so it must be true) Charlwood in Surrey has one of the highest concentrations of a certain type of timber-framed buildings in England - and looking at the map it's also close to the hills of the North Downs.  I've also read (I think) that timber framed buildings with straight timbers and lots of them are more typical of the south-east, whereas the west and north of England are more likely to use curved timbers and therefore more complicated patterns than seen on this building.  English Heritage have plenty of listed buildings at Charlwood shown here: www.imagesofengland.org.uk , many of which are not dissimilar from this building, although I couldn't see this one (of course it may well have gone).
R
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replies. In view of Richard K's reply, I have posted in the Surrey forum, asking those readers familiar with Charlwood to come and look at the picture. Hope this does not breach RC rules

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 March 10 12:52 GMT (UK) »
The picture bears a slight resemblance to Wendover High Street (Google Maps link), looking west towards the Chilterns. There are numerous half-timbered houses on the street, many set back and uphill a bit from the carriageway.

Offline davidtreb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 March 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I live fairly near Charlwood, and can confirm that there are some very fine old timber-framed houses in this area.  You might try contacting the Horley HIstory Society, which covers Charlwood (they have a website) - they have some members who are knowledgeable about such buildings.
However, we are about six miles from the North Downs, and I do not think there is anywhere in Charlwood with quite such steep slopes as thise in your picture.
Regards,
David.

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 March 10 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that David - an excellent suggestion. I have sent an email to the society, asking whether it would be possible for me to submit the picture. The 'contact us' button on the society's website allows an email to be sent, but not for any attachments to be included. Nor can I find an email address on the website. However, I'm hoping that I'll receive a reply and an address to which I can send the picture. Exciting prospect!

PS -I have received a very speedy reply from the Horley History Society, giving me an email address to send the picture. Fingers crossed - everything crossed!

Offline wesw

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • My Family + concertina players/history
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 19:37 BST (UK) »
Look at:http://www.first4sale.com/propertyDetails.asp?propID=1146
found by googling for 'Charlwood Surrey' and then browsing 'Images'
Williams, Hammerton, Coombes, Walker  - Kingston and  Haslemere areas of Surrey.

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 19:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link. The house you found certainly looks like a more modern (inevitably) version of the one in my Australian relative's sketch. I think I'm going to have to make the long trip to Charlwood. I took the advice of someone in this thread and contacted the Horley History Society, one of whose members has made a tentative identification of a house standing about a mile outside Charlwood on Stan Hill. Next stop, Surrey History Centre to ask if they may have any records of occupancy (tithes, taxes, electoral records etc) for these older Charlwood houses
Best wishes
Ian