Author Topic: William Rush BRUCE Birth Look up Hintlesham  (Read 2634 times)

Offline ernchat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Rush BRUCE Birth Look up Hintlesham
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 April 21 10:56 BST (UK) »
Annette, the William Rush Bruce you are mentioning is the father of the son, William Rush Bruce that travelled to South Africa c., 1840-1850. He is my grandmother's, grandfather and is attested to by William Rush Bruce senior who stated in his will that his son was in the Cape Colony (see post by Hotrodpansy). I tried to post a photo of George Henry Bruce and family, c., 1860 but the process advised did not work (the Browse button did not come up). Stay well.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 April 21 12:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry if I unwittingly gave wrong information.   The full name being quite specific I had gone from research and not the trees on Ancestry - since the latter mainly have his birth year as 1808 Hintlesham or 1832 in South Africa??

William Rush Bruce and his first wife Elizabeth Finch (died 1823) did indeed have a son William but he is shown as plain William bp.8/7/1820 Hintlesham.    If 'senior' refers to 'junior' in South Africa in his will then that's fine and proves the connection - however, in my defence, he was a plain William when he was born in England.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 April 21 12:53 BST (UK) »
Ok, I just had a very quick look and definitely we are the same family.  So William Bruce (William Rush Bruce's son) was the 2nd William to be born, as the first William died.  I only have him as William and not with his fathers middle name (rush) Do you have evidence that Rush was given as his middle name?

To stop this becoming confusing, I will list as I know it from the actual records:

William Rush Bruce 1787 married Elizabeth Finch 1783

Their son William Bruce 1820 married Dorcus Boucher 1830

Their son George Henry Bruce is who I think you are referring to?

William Bruce 1820 was a soldier, Kent England (1851) but married Dorcus June 1856....so I believe he would have travelled to Africa sometime just before this. His birth is not Africa it is 8th July 1820 Hintlesham Suffolk.

I really hope you can attach some of your earlier photos...would be amazing to see? and also do you have any info/idea's on the earlier part of the family...ie: before they came to Africa?

I hope this info helps you

Offline ernchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 April 21 14:57 BST (UK) »
I am trying to send photo's but after clicking the attachment button the Browse button does not appear. I have contacted the Help service and awaiting their response. Maybe someone can direct me.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 April 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi'ya,

When you click the attachment button, you are looking for a heading that says "attach" followed but a button that says "choose file" this should let browse your computer for the image.

If you are not seeing this option please can you try to view RootsChat on a different browser to see if this may resolve your problem.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 April 21 17:29 BST (UK) »
Ok, I just had a very quick look and definitely we are the same family.  So William Bruce (William Rush Bruce's son) was the 2nd William to be born, as the first William died.  I only have him as William and not with his fathers middle name (rush) Do you have evidence that Rush was given as his middle name?

To stop this becoming confusing, I will list as I know it from the actual records:

William Rush Bruce 1787 married Elizabeth Finch 1783

Their son William Bruce 1820 married Dorcus Boucher 1830

Their son George Henry Bruce is who I think you are referring to?

William Bruce 1820 was a soldier, Kent England (1851) but married Dorcus June 1856....so I believe he would have travelled to Africa sometime just before this. His birth is not Africa it is 8th July 1820 Hintlesham Suffolk.

I really hope you can attach some of your earlier photos...would be amazing to see? and also do you have any info/idea's on the earlier part of the family...ie: before they came to Africa?

I hope this info helps you

I don't believe the soldier born circa 1822 St. Margt. (? Ipswich), Suffolk is the William born 1820 Hintlesham - I think that soldier William was the one b.13/9/1822, bp.29/12/1822 St. Peter, Ipswich son of Richard and Lydia.   In 1841 they are living in St. Mary Stoke, Ipswich.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 April 21 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't have access to the 1851 census as no longer a member, so I cannot check and of course it could be a different William.  However, William Rush Bruce confirms his son William Bruce is in the Cape of Good Hope in his will.  thank you

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 April 21 04:41 BST (UK) »
Hi'ya,

When you click the attachment button, you are looking for a heading that says "attach" followed but a button that says "choose file" this should let browse your computer for the image.

If you are not seeing this option please can you try to view RootsChat on a different browser to see if this may resolve your problem.

Regards

Sarah

The problem may be that we cannot create attachments in Lookup threads?

Perhaps hotrodpansy and ernchat might be better to pm each other to share photos.  :D