Author Topic: ALDEN/SHEPHERD  (Read 2477 times)

Offline fairsky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ALDEN/SHEPHERD
« on: Monday 08 March 10 23:29 GMT (UK) »
As this is my first message pls let me know if I do things incorrectly

I have been searching for my gg grandparents William Alden and Amelia Ann Shepherd marriage and or birth places for some time I have even used a professional researching all to no avail
Details are -
on the 1841 census William Alden (transcribed Aldin) and Amelia are living at King St St George Hanover Square, he is a blacksmith aged 36 and Amelia is aged 25
William is definitely 'not of this county' and Amelia seems to be an each way bet,
although on most following census she lists Wandsworth as her birth place

First child is Charlotte Ann born 8 July 1841, William born 29 April 1845, Hannah Elizabeth Dec qtr, 1847 and Samuel James 10 Feb 1850

William died 4th August 1850 aged 45 at 10 Ebury Square St George Hanover Square

My problem now is that I am unable to find any marriage certilficate for this couple and also I am unable to locate a birth place for William

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ALDEN/SHEPHERD
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat...
I think I have found Amelia Ann Shepherd christening from an Extracted record...extracted means it was transcribed by the church.....submitted means it`s been added by a family member...so EXTRACTED is fact..
Amelia Ann Shepherd born 27th february 1815..(doesn`t state where)
christened 10th march 1817 at Old Church,St Pancras, London..this is extracted record
father George Shepherd
mother Ann
this can be found on www.familysearch.org.uk 
as it is Amelia Ann Shepherd in London 1815 it`s a very good chance of being your Amelia because of the middle name as well
searching for William Alden ...this surname comes up as
Alden
Allen
Halden
Aldin
so it may take a little time....allan :)
ask any members if this church still exists ?...chances are that Amelia Ann may have married there if it was her family church...that then gives you somewhere to start looking for the marriage....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled out this marriage from FreeBMD? -

Mar Q 1840 Marylebone v1 pg181 - Amelia Ann Shepherd

There are 4 female names and only 3 males names - perhaps William has been mis-transcribed?

I don't currently have a valid susbscription anywhere, so can't check myself, but it might be worth trying to find pairings of the others on the page in the 1841 census to rule them out and see if Amelia is the odd one out?
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 09:27 GMT (UK) »
that looks a good shout David.....how would you find out that other name ?.....what county is Marylebone in ?....allan ???
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled out this marriage from FreeBMD? -

Mar Q 1840 Marylebone v1 pg181 - Amelia Ann Shepherd

There are 4 female names and only 3 males names - perhaps William has been mis-transcribed?

This Amelia Ann Shepherd married Jacob Hibberd on 9 Feb 1840.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 09:33 GMT (UK) »
From FreeBMD - The registration district of Marylebone spans the boundaries of the counties of London and Middlesex, includes the sub-districts of All Souls; Cavendish Square; Christchurch; North Marylebone; Rectory; St. John; St. Mary.

There is a facility on FreeBMD for looking for missing spouse entries - however, I've already been through all the other occurences of odd numbers of entries on pages within Q1 Marylebone in 1840 without success.
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Well found Nigel - shame though!

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 09:47 GMT (UK) »
In case it is relevant in the 1851 Census the mother of the children appears to be named as Christia Alden (not Amelia), age 34, charwoman, born Surrey (HO107, Piece 1477, Folio 559, Page 16). However, this may be bad handwriting on the part of the enumerator.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fairsky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to all who replied.    The 1851 census which lists Christia Alden as the mother is correct, it is a second page I found the first one is all scribbled over and evidently re transcribed
I sent for the 1840 FBM marriage for Amelia and as stated she married Jacob Hibbard  and  as the father for this Amelia Ann Shepherd is George and they live in Marylebone I have discounted the 1815 birth for Amelia (maybe incorrectly !).    The father is an Artist    Both Amelia and Jacob are 'of full age'

'My' Amelia never remarried and died in the Union Infirmary 16th December 1886 aged 67 but she seemed to change her age at different census   She also used the name Ann in the 1871 census and for some reason gave her birth place as Oxford - whether this was a mis-transciption I do not know, her two children who were with her had the correct birth place    Her death certificate was also with the name Ann

I am at a complete loss with this family, although I have followed their son William b1845 family right through to myself

I look forward to hearing from you