Author Topic: RAOGK? Anyone have luck with the organization?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline vcmt2008

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAOGK? Anyone have luck with the organization?
« on: Tuesday 09 March 10 07:43 GMT (UK) »
I've sent queries on 6 different occassions through RAOGK ["Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness," an organization on the web].  Only one query yielded a response, and that was a suggestion to ask someone else. 

I've seen people here at RootsChat suggest, on occassion, contacting RAOGK for specific questions in a particular area (obituary look-up, etc).

MY QUESTION:  Has ANYONE had success with contacting RAOGK online?  (We ALL do our own version of acts of genealogical kindness for strangers, so I'm not talking about that!)

Or does anyone know of a similar organization that does the same thing (aside from RootsChat, of course!).
BUMBY in Yorkshire (Leeds, Huddersfield, etc.) and Montana, and related names:  SUTTCLIFFE, BENTLEY, MEADLEY, BARSTOW/BASTOW, MARSDEN ....

BROOK in Yorkshire (Elland area) and Montana, and  related names:  CROSSLAND, OXLEY, ARMITAGE ....

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RAOGK? Anyone have luck with the organization?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 07:59 GMT (UK) »
I've contacted RAOGK volunteers twice with fantastic results each time. First was a number of years ago to get newspaper deaths (Connecticut) and person not only got the obituaries but checked directories and census records to find the missing branch of the family.
More recently, someone in Minnesota copies registers from state asylum at the archives for a relative who was there and since it involved over 30 years of medical records I'm sure it took quite a bit of her time to do that for me (she did charge posting and copying fees and I rounded it up a bit as I sent U.S. dollars in the post).
In each case, especially the second one, the information was important and I would not be able to get it myself.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!