Author Topic: missing sharman siblings  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: missing sharman siblings
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi roby,

As Lu says there is not death of Mary Ann Sharman, there is howerver a Mary Ann Sharman buried 14/5/1935 at the

Leandra

???     That's not what "Lu" said, at all !    :D

There is a death of a "Mary Ann SHARMAN - 1935 - aged 72 years - born circa 1863" on the NZ death index.

~ Lu

:)

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Lu,

I meant death of Charles, in a hurry to get out the door :P
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Sorted.     Cheers.   :)

Incidentally, the death of Charles William SHARMAN -  1938  - appears on the online index as surname "SHERMAN".   ???

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roby

In your other thread on the Canada board, a reply  has been posted with a link to an NZETC article, which gives helpful information regarding the Charles William SHARMAN who settled at Oxford, Canterbury, New Zealand.

It confirms his birthplace, birth year (1858) .... his date of arrival in NZ ... etc.
Unfortunately, there is no passenger list available (online) for the vessel he arrived on "Lady Jocelyn" - to Lyttelton 1875" so not able to check names to see if Herbert W. SHARMAN was also on this voyage.

But, in light of the information "leandra" has now given you here, there seems a very strong possibility that the Charles William and Herbert William SHARMAN who were at Oxford NZ, are the people you found in the UK census returns ?

I added a note to your Canada thread suggesting you contact NZ BDM re: them finding the 1899 death for Herbert William SHARMAN (the surname has probably been misspelt on the online index ?)    They should be able to find his record and thus confirm his age.

~    Lu

Offline roby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for the enthusiatic and informative replies.

I found Herbert William Sharman death mistranscribed as SHANNAH
Davis/Davies Wales
Moyle Cornwall
Edington Berwickshire
Fisher Kirkcudbrightshire
McLeod Skye
Louden, Greenhill,  Fife
Robeson Lancashire
Sharman  Northamptonshire
Simpson Westmorland
Symmons, Vincent Middlesex
Wealands Sunderland, Durham

Offline roby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,

Thank you all again for your replies, I am having problems with my replies and they are being posted before I complete them.   

Your enthusiatic response is great.

I found Herbert William SHARMAN death  mistranscribed as SHANNAN in 1899 aged 46 which fits an 1852 birth.   :D

These findings and responses have been terrific, however as I have been unable to find my g grandfather Charles William SHARMAN B 1857 arrival in Australia and have "hung my hat on" the one that now appears to be resident in NZ with his brother Herbert William.   I am somewhat taken back  :o

Of course I will need to purchase the marriage certificate of Charles William SHARMAN and Mary Ann Powell to check parents etc, but if his parents are John and Martha Sharman I have not found my g grandfather but have researched another family, assuming that parents names are noted NZ marriage certificates. 

Presently I feel a bit shellshocked, but I guess this is what researching is about, and I will need to wait for the certificate.

Once again thank you all for your help and I will post the result when the certificate arrives.
Roby

Davis/Davies Wales
Moyle Cornwall
Edington Berwickshire
McLeod Skye
Louden, Greenhill,  Fife
Robeson Lancashire
Simpson Westmorland

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 14:05 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline roby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 March 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

Today I received the marriage certificate for Charles William SHARMAN and  Mary Ann POWELL (parents Joseph Powell and Mary Falley? ) aged 21  Married 27th September 1883
Charles William SHARMAN (parents are John Sharman and Martha Kimble) he was born at Cransley Northamptonshire  and aged 25 when married.
The witnesses were Herbert SHARMAN and Andrew BAXTER

This certificate confirms that the Charles William SHARMAN that left England sometime after the 1871 census and settled in Oxford about 1874/75  and died in 1938 is not my g grandfather as I had believed.    :'(

I had never felt comfortable with the fact that I could not find the siblings of my "Charles William SHARMAN" or any shipping record into Australia, therefore I decided to search for the siblings and hopefully establish or find some clue that this man was undoubtedly my ancestor.   ;D 
Well thanks to rootschatters, the siblings have been found and  it has been established  that he is not my ancestor
I need to restart my search for my elusive Charles William SHARMAN

Once again thank you one and all.
Roby

Davis/Davies Wales
Moyle Cornwall
Edington Berwickshire
McLeod Skye
Louden, Greenhill,  Fife
Robeson Lancashire
Simpson Westmorland

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 March 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
There is also the possibility that he wanted to be younger or older on the marriage cert.  Or not used his real name at all. Since you've followed all the Charles, perhaps you might want to look into the William Charles Sharman born  1853 Hardingstone and 1863  Northampton.

Better yet, I think starting over by asking for help on one board relative to the query, starting in Australia & adding to the actual facts you know for sure about your ancestor would be a wise move.  ( first clear up all your existing ones by adding that you had the wrong person...modify the subject lines to say "completed", etc.) also let them know who you've chased down so they don't duplicate.
on Canada board: My g grandfather Charles William SHARMAN marriage certificate indicates that he was born in Northamptonshire and he was born about 1857/58 and he married in Australia in 1890 and died here in 1910.

J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com