Author Topic: Savile Road, Halifax  (Read 3964 times)

Offline bellerby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Savile Road, Halifax
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
I don't want to extend this conversation unecessarily but there's no guesswork - Savile Place is the whole of 21 and 21A Savile Rd.  I spent a large portion of my youth in that house and knew Monica Clay and her family very well.

Offline bellerby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 13:53 BST (UK) »
later - having also looked at the original deeds at one time.   I believe there are/were  two Quaker gravestones in the front garden which were marked on the deeds.

Offline SkircoatWilliamson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 December 23 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Just come across this.   The attchd is Savile Place - numbered as 21 and 21A (lower wing ) Savile Rd.  It's all been flats for over 40 years.    Savile Green (23) is a house lower down on the opposite side of the road also I believe now sub-divided.  The two Rawsons mentioned were part of the extended Rawson family mainly based in the Sowerby/Sowerby Bridge area.

Would be really interested in any further info about Savile Place and the Clay family. Have seen 3 interior photos from 1939 on Malcolm’s site supplied by family member. Would there be a way to follow up please?

Offline bellerby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 December 23 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Moniuca Clay was resident at 21A Savile Road when I was there.  She rented rooms and flats to a procession of 'young'   She was a professional artist and teacher.  More info available on Wikipedian and the web.

Her Mother was Elizabeth Campbell Fiosher Clay.  She was American.   She married Alderman Howard Clay of Halifax.  She was also a talented artist:  more info on Wikipedia and the web.  Her sister - Hattie - married Sir George Smith (of Smiths Wires) who lived at The Gleddings on Birdcage Lane.  They were Unitarians.

I am unable to provide more info re the house itself only to say that when I was there it was in a very dilapidated though interesting state , rather like an upmarket Rising Damp, and contained a lot of antique American Colonial furniture which I believe was returned to her family in American following her death.

If you are in contact with a family amember they should be able to fill in gaps.

Offline bellerby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 16:22 BST (UK) »