Author Topic: Dad's Army Records - WWII  (Read 6265 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Dad's Army Records - WWII
« on: Tuesday 09 March 10 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Well after a 6 month wait, I've received my dad's army records and as is to be expected most of it is in jargon, abbreviations etc.  I was also sent a list of abbreviations, but a few of the abbreviations on my dad's records are not on the list ???  I'm now totally confused. 

My dad was awarded the Burma Star which my son has, and that is listed on his papers, however, it appears he was only in Burma from May 1945 and the only information shown mentioning Rangoon, is on his Notification of Impending Release.   This states that his military conduct was Exemplary, and the comments state that he has been with this unit since May 1945.  Extremely hardworking, honest and reliable.  He has rendered valuable service in running a B.O.R.s Canteen giving up many hours of his spare time for the welfare of the troops.  Has a most cheerful disposition and is very popular with his comrades.  Rangoon 23.11.1945.  Signed Major Lumsden.  I know he was popular and well thought of, as whilst he was in Ceylon, his commanding officer wrote a letter to my mum (which I have) telling her how popular he was etc. etc.

It appears he started of as a Gunner when he enlisted in 1940, but he didn't leave England until June 1943, when he was posted to Bombay.  His unit is shown as R.E.A.W.W. whatever that means.  He was then posted to Reserve A A Regt, with the authority of GHQ AC's (or is it AG?) Branch Letter.  A couple of months later he was admitted to 119 IGH, which I imagine was a field hospital.  He was there for 6 days, but no mention is made of the reason - probably some nasty tummy bug.  By October 1943 he had been posted to Ceylon where he was T.O.S.  I know from the list I was sent that this means Taken on Strength, I suppose that's what a civilian would call put on the payroll. 

Some of the records seem to have been written out of order, so they have him in Ceylon, before he embarked in India for Ceylon! 

In 1944 his pay was reclassified for some reason I can't read.  He then left Ceylon and in September 1944 disembarked in India again.  In April 1945 he was transferred to the RIASC,  and given the title of Private, which was then changed to Driver.  He was transferred under various regulations and the prefix T/- was added to his army number.   He is shown as being in the 92 B.S.D (Base Supply Depot) posted from H.Q.C.R.I.A.S.C 452 L of C sub area and T.O.S. In brackets is what looks like Awaiting Disposal or it could be assisting disposal.  It would appear that this last transfer was to Rangoon, although someone has just put ditto marks in the column showing place, so that it appears he was still in India when he was obviously in Burma.

On 3 December he proceeded to H.B.T.D Deolali pending a relase to UK and ceased to be administered by O2 E.A.L.F.S.E.A 

He arrived back in UK on the night of 5 January 1946 - which was my 5th birthday.  I had always told mum that he would be home on my birthday, so when he arrived late at night, my parents came into the bedroom to wake me up.   ;D ;D

Can anyone let me know what the abbreviations in bold mean and do any of you know what happened in India and Ceylon during the time my dad was out there, or can you give me details of any books, reports etc. that I can read.  I must admit I expected more detail in his records than just where he was and the dates.  Dad used to mention places he'd been to like Trincomalee, etc.

Many thanks
Lizzie

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dad's Army Records - WWII
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 14:55 GMT (UK) »
I'll start off.

RIASC - Royal Indian Army Service Corps
HBTD - Homeward Bound Trooping Depot
O2 EALFSEA - last bit (ALFSEA) would be Allied Forces South East Asia
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 15:01 GMT (UK) »
B.O.R.s could be british other ranks...
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 15:04 GMT (UK) »

HBTD

The remarkable part of this venture is that both these tube-wells were drilled at the peak of summer, during a severe drought, in this clean, Second World War British Army Rest-Camp, originally established around 1861, and well-known for its dry healthy climate and water scarcity ! (Over 20,000 villages in Maharashtra are reportedly reeling under severe drought conditions. Out of 1,951 villages in Nashik District, 1,523 villages are scarcity-hit..) Deolali Cantonment came into existence in 1869. The forts in this region were captured in the year 1818 by Colonel MacDowell's Army and the region came under British rule. Deolali Camp was opened as a Main Depot for the arrival and departure of troops in 1870. During the Second World War it also housed the Japanese and Italian POW camps. A Homeward Bound Trooping Depot (HBTD) was also situated at Deolali for the British troops.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Many thaniks for your responses.  I thought the records would at least show where he had fought - if he fought, which I presume he did before he was transferred to RASC.

Lizzie

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie,
From the record you've posted the likelihood is your Dad never actually saw any action ("fought" if you prefer).
till Jun 1943 - in England
Jun-Oct 1943 - in Bombay area
Oct 1943-Sept 1944 - in Ceylon
Sept 1944-May 1945 - in India, location unspecified
May-Dec? 1945 - Burma

The only fighting that took place on Indian soil was in the extreme north-east of the country in the attempted Japanese invasion in March-July 1944. Google battles of Imphal and Kohima for information.
The effective liberation of Burma had been completed by 6 May 1945, so it was back in British hands when your Dad arrived there.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I can't say dad ever said he saw any action, I presume we just thought he must have done.  He did tell us some tall tales though.  He often spoke about places in Ceylon and India far more than he mentioned Burma.  In fact the only place I can remember him mentioning in Burma was Rangoon.

He was very lucky if he managed to be in the army for 5 years and not see any action.  He was 28 when he enlisted and 33+ when he was discharged in 1946, so neither too old nor too young to have been kept off the battlefields.  Nor was he unfit.  He went in as B1 and progressed to A2 within about a year, whilst still in UK.  I know he had flat feet, but that was all.

He did lose an awful lot of weight though.  He was only about 10 and a half stone when he enlisted, he apparently put on weight whilst in Ceylon, but a photo of him in summer 1946 when we were on holiday in Bournemouth shows him as really skinny and drawn.

Thanks for your input.

Lizzie