Author Topic: 1881 Census Error Resolved - Eureka!  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1881 Census Error Resolved - Eureka!
« on: Friday 14 May 04 22:24 BST (UK) »
I've been copmpletely unable to trace a family I knew to be in Liverpool at the time of the 1881 census but, following replies to a recent message I posted, I decided to give it another go (about the 100th I think!) and this time was successful almost immediately.

The family I was looking for was Hatchell but it had simply been transcribed as Matchell and when I substituted H with M the record which had eluded me for so long appeared as if by magic. I knew all the names and approximate ages and saw immediately it was the right one.

Hope this encourages others who've been unsuccessful with census searches to keep trying and especially to imagine what the first letter of the surname could have been substituted with.

Many thanks to those who replied to my original message on this topic.

Marie.
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

IRELAND:CostelloSauce,Hatchell
Connolly/Conneelly(Kilkerrin,Co Galway)
WALES: Flintshire-Roberts
CHESHIRE-Irby: Ledsham,Roberts,Bennett
LANCS:
Liverpool: Howard
Halewood: Ellison, Turton,
Prescot: Cross, Hornby, Prescott
Warrington: Sauce
Widnes: Connolly, Cross, Currie, Prescott
Manchester: Currie
Altcar: Howard, Bolton
ASHFORD: Dale,Ellis
SCOTLAND: Currie,Lindsay,McDonald, Savage,

Offline pillar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 Census Error Resolved - Eureka!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have relative of my ancestor William Scott whose daughter Eliza Scott born 28 June 1822 married Rev Thomas Henry Hatchell M.A. Canon and Treasurer of Leighlin Cathedral and Incumbent of Staplestown Co. Carlow married 27 May 1857. I don't have any following information about the family.

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

My husband's mother was named Hatchel and she was descended from John Hatchell, born in Ireland round about 1840, who was listed in Liverpool on the 1881 census as John Matchell.

John had four children: Esther, Margaret, Henry and George who was my husband's grandfather.

As you probably know Hatchell isn't a particularly common surname in England or Ireland and one theory I read about its origin in Ireland is that a soldier (or soldiers) named Hatchell went from the south of England to Ireland with Cromwell. There were about 30 Hatchell families in Ireland at the time of the Primary Valuation property survey which took place in Ireland between 1848-64.

I've been unable to establish whether or not the Cromwell connection is true but it sounds quite plausible although  I have no information about my husband's family prior to their record on the 1881 census.

Best wishes

Rosemarie .
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

LANCS:

Offline smouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 05 00:36 BST (UK) »

There were about 30 Hatchell families in Ireland at the time of the Primary Valuation property survey which took place in Ireland between 1848-64.

Hi

Jumping off topic a little but the survey you mention above, is it like a census.  I've recently discovered a branch of ancestors from Galway and just don't know where to start.  Do you have any advise?

Damian

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 April 05 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Damian

It's the Griffiths Primary Valuation Survey. The following is a link to one of a number one of a number of sites which explain a bit more about it:

http://www.from-ireland.net/gene/griffithsval.htm

Rosemarie.

LANCS:

Offline smouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 April 05 01:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosemarie, I'll take a look.