Author Topic: Walsoken PR lookup- marriage and baptisms  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walsoken PR lookup- marriage and baptisms
« on: Wednesday 10 March 10 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I am trying to trace a John HAWKINS of Walsoken.

John was listed as a 'gentleman of Walsoken' and deceased in his brother Thomas's will, written in 1786.

John had 2 children also listed in the same will - Daniel and Elizabeth.

Walsoken is not on the Pilotsearch, and I was hoping someone would be kind enough to check the PR's for a marriage of John Hawkins, the baptisms of his 2 children, and his death please.

He died pre 1786- hopefully his death will give an age, that will clarify the following searches better.
His children appear to be young adults in 1786, therefore I believe them to be born circa 1760's.
On that basis, I would expect his marriage to then be early 1760's- or thereabouts!

I am hoping the marriage might indicate where John was from- as I have had no luck thus far finding his brother Thomas's marriage, nor baptisms for either brother.

Many thanks!
KYlie
Many thanks!

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
Re: Walsoken PR lookup- marriage and baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 March 10 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 March 10 00:48 GMT (UK) »
THanks David
This is a really good site!
Have checked out the burials and baptisms- there are quite a few Johns in the burials that could be mine, and an Ann HAwkins- widow amongst the burials that looks a possible wife for John.

No sign of a marriage though...

Kylie B

Offline MJR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
Kylie. I have finally got to the Norwich Library Record Office. I found only two Hawkins references: - Ann? Hawkins buried 4/07/??? after 1781; John Hawkins son of Daniel & Judith? buried 1785/85 age 4. The film, from Salt Lake City, was in negative format, white on blue; unless the original ink was heavy the white writing  is very pale almost shadow colour so reading/ deciphering was very difficult. I didn't check any weddings, I will have to do that next visit. MIK.

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 June 10 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much MIK
So that is a son of Daniel= the son of John (who was the brother of Thomas of Kings Lynn). Did you follow that!! John Snr died pre 1786- when Thomas his brother wrote his will and referred to him as deceased.

Daniel Married a Judith someone.

Daniel had a sister Elizabeth also mentioned in her uncle Thomas's will- but I dont know their mother ie. wife of John Senior. So if you see a marriage for John Senior that would be great...especially if it had a parent as witness!! wishful thinking of course ;-)

Thanks again MIK_ really appreaciate your time
Kylie

Offline MJR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 July 10 15:13 BST (UK) »
Kylie. Been again, still nothing on John, I am thinking he might have married and had the children elsewhere. I have found the following "Hawkins" listed: - Daniel H, of the parish of Walsoken, married Judith Nixon at Emneth on 19/10/1780, he signed, she made her mark; witnesses were Charles Frusher and Robert Pacey, both signed. RP was probably churchwarden, his name appeared very often. On the same date John Frusher married Jane Nixon, witnesses Mary Frusher and RP. John's signature was neat and tidy, but Charles and Mary's were rough and unsure. I found this as the banns were read and listed at Walsoken Church, as were the following
Baptism of John and Thomas Hawkins, twin sons of Daniel and Judith on ??/10/1785.
Burials: - Ann Hawkins 4/07/1781; Robert son of Robert and Elizabeth Hawkins ??/3/1782; and John son of Daniel and Judith, age 4, 1785/86.
Marriages: - William Dennis (b) and Susannah Hawkins (s) on 08/04/1802; he marked, she signed; witnesses Jos Dennis and John Albins (C/W I think); Robert Bellamy and Sarah Hawkins, banns 15/22/29/10/ 1809, married 11/11/1809. He marked, she signed.Witnesses Thomas Maderson? and Mary Silburn? both signed. I hope this sheds some light somewhere. MIK.

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 July 10 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks MIK

Hmmm- seems likely that Susannah was a relative of JOhn and Thomas Hawkins. No proof as yet, but if she married in 1802, she is unlikely to have been a sister, and I do not know of her as a daughter of either John or Thomas...so perhaps the daughter of another Hawkins brother.

I am stumped...If we are having no luck with the PR's, where else can we look for clues that would tells us who the family of John and Thomas were?? There arnt even any clues so far as the wives of either JOhn or Thomas either. I know Thomas's wife was Sarah someone, I dont even have a first name for JOhn's wife. No clues as to where they came from.

Only real clue is that they appear to be educated as they seem to all be able to write.....

Kylie B

Offline MJR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 July 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Kylie. Seem to be phantoms of the night,??? but had children of which there appears to be evidence. On pilot family search, have you used the England, births. marriages, deaths sections? I have just had a look and there are a lot of "Hawkins", some I recognise, I expect you will recognise more. On the home page select Hawkins, Norfolkshire, England, United Kingdom, all types, and go through the decades. I found them in Emneth, Upwell, Walsoken, King's Lynn and others, I found Daniel and Judiths deaths.  If you are not sure of the places, Google Norfolk map, King's Lynn and then move to the west and southwest for those I have mentioned. If you have any queries I'll try to answer them. MIK.

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks MIK
Havnt tried that function on Pilot search yet, so will have a play and let you know how I get on
Thanks for the Tip!
Kylie