Author Topic: Llandinabo churchyard  (Read 6608 times)

Offline nelletap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llandinabo churchyard
« on: Wednesday 10 March 10 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I must be the most useless amateur genealogist.  I wanted to visit Llandinabo church and had looked it up on the map.  (It is in Herefordshire near Much Birch) However, when I went to look I really couldn't work out where it was and how to get to it.  There is a farm, but it seemed to be marked private - is that where I need to venture?  There wasn't anywhere to park and it is not really safe to peer and drive!
My family name there is Hyett.
I am hoping someone can help as I have seen Llandindabo seems to be of interest to at least one person here.
ELLEN; HYETT; BUCKIE (BUCKEE); BUTCHER; BRIDGWATER; MASTERS; BARHAM; MORGAN; BRUNDLE (BRUNDELL);  TOWNSEND; REEVE; STRACHAN; TWIGGS; HALPIN; CLOW; HARTLAND; WALKER; SAUNDERS; BATTERSEA; LLANDINABO; HEREFORDSHIRE; GLOUCESTERSHIRE; SIDDINGTON; KEMBLE; WANDSWORTH; WILTON; LAMBETH; SOUTH NORWOOD; MALTA; SHROPHAM; DEVIZES;  the earlier a surname or place appears in the above list, the closer to my direct line.,

Offline Llandinabo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Llandinabo churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
I live half a mile from Llandinabo church where my mother is buried.   To access the church you turn into what looks like a private drive, but isn't, and wait for the gates to open.   Drive about 100 yards and just before the farmyard there is a right hand pull in where you can park.    Lovely little church well worth visiting.

Offline nelletap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for letting me know this.  I'll have another go as soon as I can.
ELLEN; HYETT; BUCKIE (BUCKEE); BUTCHER; BRIDGWATER; MASTERS; BARHAM; MORGAN; BRUNDLE (BRUNDELL);  TOWNSEND; REEVE; STRACHAN; TWIGGS; HALPIN; CLOW; HARTLAND; WALKER; SAUNDERS; BATTERSEA; LLANDINABO; HEREFORDSHIRE; GLOUCESTERSHIRE; SIDDINGTON; KEMBLE; WANDSWORTH; WILTON; LAMBETH; SOUTH NORWOOD; MALTA; SHROPHAM; DEVIZES;  the earlier a surname or place appears in the above list, the closer to my direct line.,

Offline historian 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 August 14 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for letting me know this.  I'll have another go as soon as I can.

Hi nelletap,
Did you re-visit Llandinabo Church? I was there last week and have information about the Hyett burials taken from the graveyard plan in the church. Also headstone photos. Let me know if they're of any interest to you.

Offline nelletap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 00:09 BST (UK) »
No, I haven't managed to get back.  Whenever I am in hereford I am visiting my Dad and feel so guilty being distracted by something like this.  So anything you have would be wonderful and much appreciated.

Tricia  :)

Offline historian 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Tricia,
I understand how difficult it can be to squeeze in research when visiting. I'm at home this evening so can make a start on sending the information. I'm new to RootsChat - only signed up yesterday, so will have to learn how to send images. I photographed all of the Hyett grave stones at Llandinabo. With one exception, they are all in a row running south to north - that is, at right angles to the church building. Speak later - Nick

Offline historian 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again Tricia,
I think you'll find the following information interesting. Llandinabo Church and the churchyard are well worth a visit, although quite difficult to locate. I understand that it is kept unlocked. If you'd like directions, just let me know.

Hyett Gravestones at Llandinabo Churchyard:

29   Emily daughter of Edwin and Sarah Hyett, 1912
30   Frederick James Hyett, 1908. Alice, wife of Frederick James Hyett, 1930
31   not known
32   Alfred Hyett, 1893
33   not known
34   not known
35   Ann Hyett
*    Mary, wife of Richard B- -den??? (illegible)
37   Martha Hyett, 1857. Frederick Hyett
38  Martha wife of Alfred Hyett

64   ----- Hyett, wife of Edwin Hyett, 1925. Edwin Hyett, 1927

The above details have been extracted from a plan of the graveyard which is displayed inside the church. (This plan of the graveyard was so helpful. I do wish other churches would follow this example!)
I think that the graveyard plan was compiled quite recently and from information displayed on headstones, rather than from the burial register. It would be worth looking at the burial register as there are likely to be numerous burials in unmarked graves. Grave 64 is a double grave in the north east section of the churchyard.

The above Hyett graves 29 – 37 form a straight line across the width of this part of the churchyard, south of the church. Numbers 31, 33 and 34 are listed as “not known” as the graves do not have gravestones. Although it is not possible to say with certainty that they are Hyett graves, all headstones along this line are Hyett graves.  * denotes grave position 36. This headstone has been weather damaged and part of the inscription is missing.

I tried to attach a photo of the church, but without success. Apparently images have to be less than 500kb and my photos are all around 3-4 mb. I took a photo of each Hyett gravestone. Using a computer, it'll be possible to zoom in on the image - you'll probably be able to read most inscriptions. I'll see if I can send you my email address in a private post. I can either email each image to you or send you a disk with all the photos on. Hope to speak again - Nick

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Can I ask when the church was built please ?  MOST of my Merrick family are from Norton Canon and are buried there - but my earliest ancestor I have under Merrick is John Merrick and his wife Joan ...I haven`t found out where either were born - but their children are baptised in Llandinabo ....their firstborn was
William Merrick baptised 21st december 1676 .....other children
Margrett Merrick  1679
Thomas Merrick 1682
Alice Merrick 1685
John Merrick 1689 ..........as they are baptised there I presume it is an old church ?? ...I live in Liverpool and am planning a trip next June to Norton Canon / Eardisley / Llandinabo / and a couple more villages .....
could you be so kind and see if there are any burials for any Merrick / Prosser in Llandinabo - but I presume being 450 years old they would be unreadable ??
I would value your advice / opinion - after all I am talking just after the Civil War ( ended 1652 if I remember correctly )
thanks for any input
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline historian 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 September 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan,
Llandinabo parish church (St Dinebo / St Junabius) was rebuilt in 1881 by A Lloyd Oswell. The site and grave yard is obviously much older, but I'm not aware of any suggested dates.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to any records relating to the parish and can't therefore help with the information you request about your family. Best of luck with your search - Nick