Author Topic: Family Secret - Turnbull/Kelly Gateshead  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Luckyme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Secret - Turnbull/Kelly Gateshead
« on: Wednesday 10 March 10 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I'm new to this so I hope I'm posting in the correct area...

I'm trying to trace my father's side of the family (Turnbulls and Kellys). My Grandmother was Annie Eileen (Nancy) Turnbull, nee Kelly. She died in 2007. Her mother and father were Margaret Mcdonald and Patrick Kelly who I believe came from County Derry.  Before my Grandmother died, I told her that I wanted to trace my family tree and she went beserk! She was shouting down the phone that she wanted nothing to do with it and that I was stupid for contemplating doing it... she made it quite clear that she wasn't happy and wouldn't give me any help or information.

It's made me all the more curious! I have a feeling that it's something to do with an adopted child or maybe, a divorce or something. I know it doesn't sound that exciting today, but my Grandmother was born in 1913 and was a Roman Catholic, so it would've been quite a scandal if I'm right.

There's certainly something that she wanted kept secret. I would appreciate any ideas about what it may have been and if anyone has any suggestions about what to do next.

Thanks.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Family Secret - Turnbull/Kelly Gateshead
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 22:41 GMT (UK) »
hi,,i guess you could just try and find everything you can,and see what clues you may get.....do you have any facts/documents?  do you know years of birth for patrick and margaret. do you have any birth/marriage certificates.....were patrick and margaretmarried in england.  you need a starting point to enable you to get back to the census records....or you need birth/marriage certs

could this be patricks marriage reference?

Marriages Mar 1909 

KELLY  Patrick     Gateshead  10a 1220   
MCDONALD  Margaret     Gateshead  10a 1220
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luckyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Yeah, that's their marriage. I have a copy of their marriage certificate and my grandmother's birth certificate, but I'm sort of stuck after that. I've tried looking online for their parents' (Thomas Mcdonald and Michael Kelly) details and I haven't had any joy. I also don't know how to go about looking for an adopted child - that's if I'm not barking up the wrong tree. Any ideas on what to do next?

Offline Luckyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I sound a bit thick - I just really don't know what to do when you get stuck!

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 22:49 GMT (UK) »
can you post the details of the certificates,,,,names..ages.. occupations..witnesses etc every bit of detail helps us to help you ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
so this annies birth ref

Births Jun 1913   

Kelly  Annie E   Gateshead  10a 2120

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I sound a bit thick - I just really don't know what to do when you get stuck!

;D  we all had to start somewhere ;)

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 23:10 GMT (UK) »
From the free 1911 index it looks like Patrick was born 1879 and Margaret 1878
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L
PLIMMER - Pontesbury, Ashton U L
CAMBRIDGE - Goulborne, Ashton U L
SIDDALL - Ashton U L

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Do you know your grandmothers siblings as there are six Kelly/McDonald births in Gateshead between 1913 and 1929.  It's possible that one is still alive and may be able to help?
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L