Author Topic: BLESSING  (Read 9749 times)

Offline cablessing

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BLESSING
« on: Thursday 11 March 10 07:15 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find my Irish relatives. My grandfather was Patrick Blessing (borned in 1862), being their parents Michael and Maria Blessing. I will be traveling to Ireland from marcho 27 until april 4, 2010 and plan to visit Leitrim Co. and the parish where he was baptised. Any info: (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
Re: BLESSING
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 March 10 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and welcome to RootsChat,
Can't help you here, except to say you had best remove that email address. This is an open web site and is crawling with web-crawlers. You will be inundated with spam.

Once you have made a few posts you can send people a PM, Private Message, at present anyone who wants to contact you can do so via a PM.

Good luck,
Leonie.

Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 March 10 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunatly Patrick was born just before Civil Registration started in Ireland in 1864, which means you will need to research church records to find details of his baptism etc (see 2 minutes Introduction to Irish Records) To do this you would need to know the religion of the family and the parish they lived. Some Co. Leitrim parish records are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie

There are a few listings for Blessing families in Leitrim of Griffith's Valuation, which was a land taxation survey that includes people who owner or leased land. These are dated 1857 for co. Leitrim. The entries may give you clues for locations to start your search.

you can search Griffiths at : http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

There are a few Blessing birth registrations (see the Civil Index search in the link above) in the early 1860s that could be connected - i.e. siblings of Patrick..

p.s. there are some possible siblings of Patrick on IGI (www.familysearch.org), which includes some births from 1864:

Michael Blessing / 20 Apr 1864   (0293), Mohill, Leitrim
 Alice Blessing / 01 May 1866  (0293), Mohill, Leitrim

Parents for both are listed as   Michael Blessing & Mary Higgins    

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 March 10 19:13 GMT (UK) »
It looks like they were Roman Catholic,..http://www.rootschat.com/links/086z/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Michael Blessing married Mary Higgins on 8th March 1859 at Cloone parish church.  Witnesses were John Blessing and Rose Higgins.

The baptisms of six children are recorded in the Cloone parish registers: all were from the townland of Aughakiltubbrid (part of Sunnagh More)

Mary 30th May 1860; sponsors were Anthony Blessing and Margaret Higgins
Patrick Blessing 8th April 1862; sponsors were Cornelius Blessing and Rose Galogley
Michael Blessing 24th April 1864; sponsors were John Blessing and Ann Grant
Alice Blessing 14th April 1866; sponsors were Patrick McGovern and Mary Blessing
Margaret Blessing 2nd Dec 1868; sponsors were James Kiernan (?) and Mary Macana
Catherine Blessing 18th Sep 1871; sponsors were James Baxter and Bridget Smyth

Michael’s father was probably Terence Blessington (variant spelling) who was married to Mary Maglinn and had one son recorded in the parish records - Daniel, baptised 6th Jan 1825 from Aughkiltubbrid.  He was probably the youngest son and Michael was probably born prior to this date - before the records began.

In Griffith’s Valuation Terence held a farm and 11 acres of land in the townland and Michael held a house and several pieces of land totalling 44 acres

Although I cannot be sure I believe that this family held a lot of land in Acres and Carrickavoher as well.  This may be a recent acquisition as they held only land in Aughkiltubbrid at the time of the Tithe in the 1830s.

It looks as though son Michael (your Patrick’s brother) was still in the townland in 1901:
Michael 33, wife Sarah 28, mother Mary 68, sister Maggie 28, and children Joseph 4 and Pat 2.

Alongside them is another Blessing Family descended from Cornelius Blessing and Eleanor Connolly.  They had about 8 children at about the same time as Michael and Mary were having theirs so possible brothers or cousins.  In 1901 John of that family was in the townland as was his mother Eleanor, his wife Mary (I believe previously married to a Galogley) 4 young children and 2 older stepchildren.

I would suggest a visit to the Ballinamore library.  Ask to see their index of newspapers references.  I got a lot of family related info from that.

Best of luck

Offline genefer26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BLESSING/TON
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 January 11 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Have found that a Terence Blessington reported a death of a infant named Bernard Blessington son of Bernard Blessington, tailor in November 1847 in Manchester, England.

Does anyone know of a connection between a Bernard Blessington and Terence Blessington born in Ireland during the earlier part of the 1800's. Have been trying to trace Bernard Blessington tailor from Ireland for some time.

Many thanks Patricia

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 January 11 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Philadelphia passengers;

Blessing Bessie; 35, arrived, 1920
Blessing Kate; 18, 1920
Blessing Rose; 17, 1876
Blessing Ellie; 15, 1893
------------------------
US WW11 Drafts;
Blessing Patrick;
b. 29/1/1897. Leitrim; Res; Bronz New York
------------------
Queensland passengers;
Blessing Michael Herman; 21, arrived, 1885
-----------------------------
England/Wales probates;
Rev. Thomas Blessing, Sonnabeg, Cloone Leitrim
Died; 1/6/1940
Administrtion; Llandudno to Rose Anne Campbell, widow.
Effects; £139-9-8
---------------------------
Royal Irish Constabulary;
Blessing Michael; 21, enlisted, 1876
Blessing Patrick; 22, 1878
Blessing Jas; 18, 1879
Blessing John; 24, 1882
Blessing Patrick; born, 1895, enlisted; 1918.
-------------------------
Jack