Author Topic: Military Hospital Catterick Camp - Photograph  (Read 25201 times)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Military Hospital Catterick Camp - Photograph
« on: Thursday 11 March 10 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find a picture, or pictures, of the Military Hospital in Catterick Camp, Yorkshire.   This was the old single storey building still in use in the 1960s and located next to Sandes Soldiers' Home.   But not the  Duchess of Kent Military Hospital  that replaced it, I think in the 1970s.

Can anyone help me please?

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Military Hospital Catterick Camp - Photograph
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 March 10 16:05 GMT (UK) »
part of the camp?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 March 10 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, brings back memories.   Catterick was a very large estate with many camps and buildings but its a picture of the old Military Hospital that I'm after.

Offline Sehguh17

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
Found the site when looking for photo's of the married quarters in Jaffa Lines.
I'm trying to get a set of photo's of houses I lived in. Was there as a Child '58 to '62 aged 3-8.
Lived in the bungalows that fronted the playing fields. Was there when the war time barracks were torn down. Lived on the corner near the old bomb shelters. Remember playing on the rifle range collecting shells and the outdoor toilets that were freezing in winter. Also Ainse Lines Infant school. from google maps it looks to be a carpark over where I believe the houses were.
My father was a corporal and Nurse at the hospital.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 11:32 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find a picture, or pictures, of the Military Hospital in Catterick Camp, Yorkshire.   This was the old single storey building still in use in the 1960s and located next to Sandes Soldiers' Home.   But not the  Duchess of Kent Military Hospital  that replaced it, I think in the 1970s.

Can anyone help me please?

The old hospital is now a Nursing Home...I've just come back south from the DoK!!

Look on Google maops and images for "old hospital road"
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline jflood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 September 10 09:26 BST (UK) »
I served in the old Military Hospital,  was there when we opened DKMH and served a total of 4 times there over a 25 year career in the RAMC.   At one stage,  even wrote a brief history of the hospital in Catterick from it's beginnings in 1915 on what was land own by Crake Dub Farm,  (The old hospital site).

The Nursing Home referred to above was the Vicarage,  one time CO's residence for the Hospital but never part of the hospital itself.  The old hospital site is now a Married Quarters estate built in the 90's with very little of the old site actually remaining,  although the gardens with the lily pond are still there as are some foundations from the hutted hospital to the rear of what was Sandes.   Sandes itself was most recently occupied as a Brigade and Battlegroup Training Facility -  not sure if this is still the case.
Hope this helps

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 September 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
I'm too much of a sprog to know the above! It just looked right, and to be in the right place when I was passing it ;D

Which bit are you referring to mate re Sandes...? Is that the big building on the main road near the police station??

And of course welcome to RC...I'm sure you'll find the site useful...You'll be able to send and receive PMs when you have made a few more postings...When did you leave??
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline jflood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 September 10 10:21 BST (UK) »
Sandes Soldiers Home is the large building on Catterick Road, Moving from the "White Shops" towards  Camp Centre you pass,  (all on the right hand side),   the Vicarage,  (Now Nursing Home),  then the new MQ estate and immediate;ly after this what was Sandes Soldiers Home.

Sandes was where we all took our  "NAAFI Breaks" in the morning and was a hub of activity with Military Hospital staff.   It also served as a magnet for squaddies from around and about  trying to  "sniff"  around the QA's

Once DKMH opened in Oct 96,  and hospital staff then used Harden Bks NAAFI for breaks  Sandes really didn't have the same attraction for NAAFI breaks !!!

Check out FrancisFrith photo site on a Google search for a picture from the 60's of NAAFI Break at Sandes 

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 September 10 16:35 BST (UK) »
Many thanks  everyone for your replies and sorry for this belated reply.     Catterick was not on everyones wish list but it was my first posting and I served in the old military hospital from mid 1960 until November 1963.    The picture I wanted was to illustrate my family history but now there is nothing left to photograph, however, I did manage a picture (google maps) of the MQ in Wensleydale Road where I lived nearly  50 years ago !

Later postings were to take me to more exotic places but it's people not places which make up the memories.    In 1960 few people had a car let alone much money so social life was what you made it and I can still remember the good times and laughs many of us enjoyed.