Author Topic: Mountmellick parish registers--Gordon  (Read 13497 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Mountmellick parish registers--Gordon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 March 10 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes...Alexander Gordon and Catherine Dann were married in 1848.  It has Registrar's district of Mountmellick.  Marriage solemnized at Mountrath in the parish of Clonenagh in the Queens County.  At the bottom of the record it says "married in the Church of Mountrath according to the rites and ceremonies of the United Church of England and Ireland",....
Thanks Shane.

I'm pretty sure that Mountrath, is in the CofI parish of Clonenagh... Mountmellick and Ballyfin are in different ones..I'll check

The registrar's district only applies to Civil registration records.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 March 10 17:55 GMT (UK) »
The Established Church section of the Ecclesiastical Directory in Thom's 1848 lists the following :

Diocese of Leighlin
 Benifice : Clonenagh or Mountrath
 Incumbant : John La Touche
 Curate : Arthur Moore
 Post Town: Mountrath   
 Patron : Crown2 Bishop 1

As I understand it benifice is equivalent to parish.

One detail to point out though... this is probably the bride's parish, which could be different to the one the family lived after they married.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 March 10 18:03 GMT (UK) »
You might find it helpful to track down the Tithe Applotment books for these parishes (circa 1830)

I know where to get most of the Tipperary ones, but afraid I cannot help with Queens County. Perhaps someone else can?

As someone PMed me for the Tipperary Tithes, I have edited this post to put that link in
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 March 10 19:53 GMT (UK) »
There's a few Dann entries in Queens' County on Griffith's valuation dated 1850, including one in the civil parish of Clonenagh & Clonagheen : William Dann, Ballycormack townland

Not sure where Ballycormack townland is located in relation to Mountrath, but it may not be far as it could be the same parish...maybe a possibility for Catherine's father ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline LOOKINGFOR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 March 10 20:04 GMT (UK) »
William Dann, b.1785-Coolrain, Offerlane parish    d: 1879-Ballyfin   spouse:Margaret Vonston or Vanston    father of Catherine Dann.

On the marriage record in 1848 for Alexander and Catherine, it states their residence for both as Ballyfin.

Offline danishdots

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 13:02 GMT (UK) »
If they are C of I .......The records are held in the RCB Libraray in Braemar Road, Dublin.  In grounds of Cof I Theological College - open week-days.  You sign in and registers are brought for you to look at - check by ringing them first that they have that particular reigister. 
Coolbanagher (Queens County, Ireland); North Creake (Norfolk); Aarhus (Denmark); Burntisland (Fife, Scotland); Rowlands Gill (Northumberland); Ballycarroll (Queens County, Ireland); Raheen (QueensCounty, Ireland)

Offline LOOKINGFOR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Danishdots, thank you for responding about the RCB library.  I am in the process of sending a letter to St. Peter's rectory to look for the baptism record on William Dann Gordon.  I noticed in a previous thread posted from Shane, that RCB holds marriage and burial records but no mention of baptism.  The baptism record is a big clue for me so I will be crossing my fingers and hoping that they will respond.  I tried to email the rectory but their email doesn't seem to working so I am posting a letter.  Thank you.

Carolyn

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Castlefleming COI cemetery;

Dann Charleton; 19/3/1952  Ballinakill
Cyril (grand-child); died in infancy
Elizabeth Ann; (wife); 12/3/1978
================

Lalor Edward Goodwin; 20/2/1977 Ballymullen
Dann Emily Francis; 3/8/1994. (mother-in-law)
=============
Jack

Offline LOOKINGFOR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Jack, thank you for sending some Dann family information.  I will add the info to my tree .  Thank you very much.