Author Topic: Look up request: William Connon (b.1862)  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
Look up request: William Connon (b.1862)
« on: Thursday 11 March 10 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

For some time I have been looking to find out what happened to one of my greatx3 grandfather's illegitimate children, William Connon.

He was born in Fyvie (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) on 16th July 1862 to William 'Conan' and Sarah Esson.
In 1869 his mother married William Rennie and so her illegitimate son was listed as William C. Rennie on the 1871 Census at Fyvie. After that I know nothing about him.

I don't know if he retained Rennie as his surname, or if he used Connon after his father. He may even have chosen to use Esson after his mother. I am almost certain that he did not die in Scotland as I can't find a death record for him.

Anyway...whilst searching American records I found this:

1900 USA Census: Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA.
William Connon, Head, b. Jul 1862, 37 y/o, married 8 years, b. Scotland, Emigration 1882, Stableman.
Elizabeth Connon, Wife, b. Aug 1865, 34 y/o,                      , b. Scotland, Emigration 1870.
Willie H. Connon, Son, b. Jul 1892, 7 y/o,                             , b. Massachusetts.
James Connon, Son, b. Mar 1894, 6y/o,                               , b. Massachusetts.
Jessie Connon, Dau, b. Nov 1895, 4y/o,                               ,b. Massachusetts.
Jennet Hunter, Mother-in-Law, b. Aug 1826, 73y/o,             , b. Scotland.

Is there any way of finding out whether or not the William Connon in the above census is the William Connon/Rennie I'm looking for? Other than his date of birth, there is no other information which really helps. I did try looking at emigration records but unfortunately they are all on pay sites.  The emigration date is clearly stated as 1882.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards
Windsor87

Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request: William Connon (b.1862)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 March 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Windsor87.

On that 1900 census is a son called James Connon born 1894. The WW1 Draft is for James Esson Connon born 13 March 1894. Medium build. Stout. Blue Eyes. Light Hair. Born Massachusetts. Living in Madison. Nnew Jersey. Single. James is a chaffeur at this date.

So I think that helps to confirm the correct William for you.  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 March 10 19:46 GMT (UK) »
This link will take you to the Massachusetts Vital Records BMD 1841 - 1910 which might be useful, if you want to trace births etc.,

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcsrch/VitalRecordsSearchContents.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 March 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Ah excellent - you make it look so easy.

Thank you so much for your help, dettori. At least I can now give up the search for him in Scotland. :)
I wish these people would take a name and stick to it for life.

regards
Windsor87
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 March 10 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Your welcome.

WW2 Draft still has James Esson Connon in New Jersey. Pleasantville Road. Greenvillage. Morris. Name and address of person who will always know you is given as :- Mrs Agnes Connon. Same Address.  ;D

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 March 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Some extra snippets, may help you out. Tree on anc..try called the ..... ..... Adoptive Family Tree. Seems to concentrate on Charles J Connon born in 2 May 1903 and died 30 Sep 1995 (Age 92 yrs) in Middleboro, Plymouth, Massachusetts. Married Margaret Withrow

1930- shows the family in Medford, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Minnie C Withrow 55 Widow
Charles J Connon 26 Chaffeur. Trucking. Married at 25 yrs.
Margaret Connon 22
Richard C Connon 2 months. Born 20 Feb 1930 Died 13 Jan 1998 in Aurora, Arapahoe, Colorado,
Charles W Hellmuth 24 Son-In-Law of Minnie
Ida E Hellmuth 19 Daughter of Minnie.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 March 10 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info, dettori.

Charles is William's son. I've found a transcript of the 1920 where Charles and Jessie Connon are still living with a widowed William. They are living at Wareham Town, Plymouth, Massachusetts. So we are still with the same family.

Nice to see that Charles lived to a ripe old age.

Windsor87

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 March 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
If I thought Charles had a good innings, I think I've just found James on the Social Security Death Index:

JAMES E CONNON , [Born] 13 Mar 1894, [Died] 28 Nov 1995, 07976, (New Vernon, Morris, NJ).

Presumably this is the Agnes in the WW2 draft:

AGNES CONNON, [Born]  01 Sep 1911, [Died] May 1983, 07976 (New Vernon, Morris, NJ) 07976 (New Vernon, Morris, NJ)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Son Willie appears to show up on WWI & WWII Draft Registration cards as William Hunter Connon with a birth in Weston, Massachusetts on either 4 Apr. 1892 or 4 Apr. 1895.  On the WWI card, he is living in Madison, New Jersey and was single.  On the WWII card, he is living on Myersville Rd., Green Village, Morris Co., New Jersey.  He had his own business & the person who would always know his address was Mrs. Bessie Connon at the same home address.