Author Topic: Bryan Carthy drowned 1869 Kingstown:what happened his widow & 4 young children?  (Read 9013 times)

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
It's Roman Catholic... it says' Married in the Roman Catholic Chapel of St Michan's St Anne St....' (same as photo I uploaded earlier..)  James Roche C.C. is the priest's name.

It must be in the same area though?  If there is a South Anne St... maybe there was a NORTH Anne St too? 

The children were all baptised in the RC church in Crumlin, although there was a CoI chapel there too and I think Anne Carthy was actually buried in the graveyard of St Mary's CoI.
Michelle

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Bryan Carthy drowned 1869 Kingstown:what happened his widow & 4 young children?
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 March 10 13:15 GMT (UK) »

St Michans R.C. is in Halston St, south of N King St

eadaoin

PS -  I think N Anne St is at the back of this Church - map not very clear
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bryan Carthy drowned 1869 Kingstown:what happened his widow & 4 young children?
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 March 10 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Eadaoin - I thought I read somewhere last night that Anne st was contiguous with North King Street... but havent a clue where that is.   Will google it.

THANKS!
MICHELLE

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 March 10 13:31 GMT (UK) »
from Thom's 1880 :

Halston St - from Mary's Lane to North King St
 Civil Parish - St. Michan's

St. Michan's R. Catholic Church
 (at the junction of of Ball's lane)

next to this is the Presbytery and among the clergy listed is Rev. James Roche C.C.

Mary's Lane is listed as running between Little Green St and Church St

slightly closer to Phibsborough than the CofI St. Michan's. You can see the areas in the 1880s on this map - North Dublin - c1880 (some of the churches are highlighted)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 March 10 14:35 GMT (UK) »
This is great Shane - I could spend all day just looking around this map!  Your site is a fantastic resource. 

I think I have to go digging around for some certs so that I can find some more names and addresses. 

There was another man, Cooke,  who was pulled from the water in time & survived.  It was only when they went back to pull in the 'lines' that they found Bryan Carthy.  There was also a fellow caol porter, Mr John McCabe who gave evidence at the inquest.  Maybe I will find some information on these neighbours or friends of Bryan Carthy and they might give me a clue to his family's address.

There is one thing I am sure of ...this will be an ongoing investigation.

Michelle

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 March 10 14:39 GMT (UK) »
found a bit more detail about Anne St and the area around ... see the maps below from 1863 and 1912.

Halston Street was known in the 1860s as Newgate.. you can see Anne St just to the west. Modern google maps name Anne St as a continuation of Ball's Lane, which is the street the goes from Newgate/Halston St and crosses Anne's St.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 March 10 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant!  You really have earned your Marquessate Stars on this one.

How these smaller streets seemed to have been swollowed up or forgotten over time. Does the 1868 map say anything about crossguns? 
I wonder if the cottages were in anyway assoiciated with the working of the canal?

Thanks M

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 March 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
I have all these maps are online at : http://roots.swilson.info/

Some of the county maps (usually called the Envorons of Dublin..) show Cross Guns as the name of the area around the Canal Bridge (Westmoreland), near Phibbsborough. The 1880 north County Dublin map have the best view of the area. The other City maps cut short near the canal..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 March 10 21:27 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 (Index to Townlands) there were 3 Crossguns townlands.
All in Dublin North

Crossguns in Glasnevin
Crossguns North or Daneswell - in parish of St George
Crossguns South - in parish of St George, and in Dublin Municipal Borough

all very close in the area Shane mentioned. Ask any Northsider where's Crossguns Bridge and they could tell you! Though it's not marked on the current Dublin street Atlas.

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow