Author Topic: DOWNING family of Castle Dawson & Bellaghy, 18th century  (Read 27332 times)

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DOWNING family of Castle Dawson & Bellaghy, 18th century
« Reply #45 on: Friday 25 January 19 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello K,

Firstly, on your Reply #43; I wouldn't get too worried about the various spellings used in that era.  For example, my own tree had some family groups that spelled it DOWNING and some spelled it DOWNINGE.  Also, when I was there this past May, I met Henry DOWNEY of Drumard, who told me his grandfather changed the spelling of his own name from DOWNING to DOWNEY.  From the 1901 and 1911 census reports, you can see he did that sometime between those two dates.  The local legend is that some Downings did not want to be associated with a notoriously ruthless landlord.  My own 3rd great grandfather was transcribed as DOWNEY when he emigrated to America in 1827, either intentionally or by mistake, but used the name DOWNING in his naturalization hearings and throughout the rest of his life.

As for David Downing, b. c.1848, son of John Downing of Drummuck;
Drummuck is a Townland in Maghera Civil Parish just north of the village of Gulladuff.  About 1/2 mile north of the village on the A42 is St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church of Lavey Parish, where several Downings are buried.  The locals call it Lavey Parish, although it is within Maghera CIVIL Parish.  Drummuck is just up Dreenan Road from St Mary's (very close).
On the 1831 Census there are 3 'John' Downings listed "of DREENAN", none of DRUMMUCK.
They occupied "House Numbers" 7, 94, and 95.
There is also a 'John' Downing buried at Lavey Parish whose slab is dated 1847, so he obviously could not be the father of your David.
And unfortunately 'John' is the most common forename used among the DOWNINGs of the era.

I am reviewing a list I made of DOWNINGs in the areas of Bellaghy, Gulladuff, Dreenan, Rocktown, Tamlaght, and Castledawson, and found no listing of any 'David's on the 1901 census, but there was  David of DRUMMUCK listed on the 1911 census, so he would have been born about 1841.
There is also a second 'David' and a Mary A, both of Drummuck, aged 33 and 35 respectively, presumably a young couple.

I have been researching the DOWNING family of this area for over 20 years and have yet to establish any connection between those we term the "Dreenan" branch headed by Stafford Downing and the "Rocktown" branch headed by Col. Adam Downing, although I'm sure there is one.  Almost all of the DOWNINGs in Northern Ireland in the early 18th century were in that small area.

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 25 January 19 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello K,

As for your reply #44;
On the 1901 Census there is a family group headed by Neil Downing of DREENAN, age given as 60, which means he was born about 1841.
His wife is listed as Rosa, age 51
Their children are listed as:
John, age 22
James, age 18
Margaret, age 16
Kate Mary, age 14

That is certainly a match to the family you've listed in your reply.
Edward, Samuel, Francis, and Anne apparently had all grown old enough to move out on their own, and left the area, or died young.

By 1911 it appears that Neil, Rose Anne, and John are still together, aged 72, 68, and 32 respectively.  As you can tell by comparing census reports, it was quite common for people to lie about their ages, making it difficult for genealogists today to make positive identifications in many cases, especially with common names and larger populations.  But in this case, there is no doubt.

Are you certain the dates you've listed are accurate ?
Are they from a reliable source, or your family history ?
I have seen the forename 'Neil' pop up somewhere before, but I can't place him in any particular branch.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 26 January 19 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dukewm,

Thank you for your replies. To the first response, I have had trouble placing the exact date of birth for David Downey/Downing as there are conflicting ages transcribed on census returns and death records.

In 1901 and 1911 respectively, his year of birth is given as 'abt 1841', but on a death record for a David Downey, of Drummuck, who dies 24th May 1921 aged 70 years, a Widower and Farmer. The death was registered by a son, David Downey jr. which would give an estimated year of birth of 1851.

John Downey/Downing is not listed as being either alive or deceased on David's marriage record to Mary Devlin. David's Place of residence is given as Mayogall in 1868, and both he and his father John are listed as Labourers.

David & Mary's daughter, Mary Anne Downey born 6th September 1876 is who I am starting with and attempting to work back from, she married John Magee son of Henry Magee & Anne Hatton, on 25th April 1911.

You do indeed seem to have a very keen and in-depth knowledge of the area.

Perhaps one of the John's you have found in 1831 and the death of John in 1847, could well be the father of David.

Keelan

Offline Romandog1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 25 August 23 16:02 BST (UK) »
To Whomever:   In the quest that some of you have helped me with concerning Robert Henry and Elizabeth Sharon Downing I had not mentioned that in addition to tracing down this paper trail I have also been chasing a DNA trail.  It is through the Henry/Downing couple that this DNA trail weaves itself to a distant female cousin who lives in New Zealand.  Together, we share several common matches, both in the US and New Zealand, running through UK.  The following information is preliminary, but it appears that the sir name Scott might be a common ancestor that unites this NZ lady with me.  We share 46 CM of DNA Material. 
I have seen that the name Scott is present in Derry in the mid to late 1800s but I haven't found any Scotts toward the end of the 18th century of in the Maghera Derry area or in the Loungheil, Antrim area. 
Are any of you aware of any Scotts in these areas toward the end of the 18th centrury?

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 25 August 23 18:14 BST (UK) »
In response to Romandog’s Reply # 48, there are indeed Downing descendants living in New Zealand and Australia today.  The late Tim Mansfield who started the Facebook group “Downing Family of Bellaghy & Maghera” had a cousin from NZ as I recall.  I can’t remember her name off the top of my head, and my computer is down at this time.  When I closed my Facebook account a few years ago, Tim’s sister was the only remaining Administrator, and she apparently is inactive in the group, so I haven’t been able to get back in.

Anyway, no, I haven’t got any information on the Scott tree, or any connections to the Downing branches that I’m aware of.  Sorry.

slainte,
Rick

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 05 November 23 06:26 GMT (UK) »
1.Col. Adam Downing m.
2.John Downing m. Anne Rowe
3.Margaret Downign m. Capt. James Hand
3.Sarah Downing m. Charles Dawson
---------------------

1.Rev. David Fullerton, c. 1705-1789
2.George, 1726-1780 m. Amy Frisby
3.Catherine m. 1. Dawson Downing of Bellaghy, 1739-1807, of Rosegift and Londonderry; m.2.
to either Anne Boyd, dau of Ezekiel Davis Boyd or Sarah Catherine Boyd, the dau of Hugh Boyd.
4.George Alexander Downing-Fullerton, died abt. 1847;  he assumed the name of Fullerton in 1794 as heir of his grand uncle, Alexander Fullerton of Jamaica and Ballintoy.
5.Alexander George Downing-Fullerton, d. 1907; m. 1833 to Lady Georgina, dau of the 1st Earl
of Granville
5.Susannah Downing-Fullerton m. 1856 John Nexbitt Maxwell, son of Robert Maxwell, barrister.
Children by miss Boyd
4.Rosetta Downing
4.Amelia Downing, b. 1786
4.Anne Downing, b. 1788
4.John Downing, b. 1790
4.Mary Downing, b. 1792
4.Catherine Downing, b. 1794
4.Sally Downing, b. 1795
4.Ezekiel Hugh Downing, b. 1795
4.William Downing, 1798-1825
4.Margaret Downing, 1800-1885
4.David Downing, b. 1802

1848--Rev. Henry Dawson, 2nd son of the Rt. Hon. George Dawson of Castledawson, Londonderry, and the nephew of Sir Robert Peel m. to Anne, 2nd dau of the Hon. Baron Dimsdale.
--------------------
Some Fullertons

1.Donald M'Donald m. Catherine M'Alister
2.Jane M'Donald m. John Richmond
3.Ann Richmond m. Edward Fullarton
4.Alice Fullarton
---

1.Alexander Montgomery m. ?
2.Rose Montgomery m. William Fullerton
3.Mary Fullerton m. Adam Hill of Moyarget
4.William Hill, died 1854, aged 80
5.Rev. George Hill