Author Topic: Help with 19th Century addresses in Walker, Willington  (Read 7380 times)

Offline mh_deadwoods

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with 19th Century addresses in Walker, Willington
« on: Friday 12 March 10 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to build a google map of the various location of my ancestors in Walker/Willington in the late 19th century and early 20th century. It seems a lot of the area has changed over the last century, with much of the shipbuilding industry moving away.

I'm hoping someone familiar with the area 100+ years ago can help me with the following.

#1 - 8 Fisher St, Walker, 1881
This is near the site of the old shipbuilding yards. Google shows some housing off Fisher St at the north end (Old Mill Rd, Abingdon Rd, Woodside Ave), but the length of Fisher St is small factories, a playground and overgrown empty land beside the river. Was there housing there, when was it pulled down and would #8 be at the north or south end?

#2 - 57 Victoria St, Walker, 1891
There doesn't appear to be a Victoria St in or near Walker. There's a Victoria Rd running through Hebburn on the  other (south) side of the Tyne. Was Victoria St demolished, and if so, where was it?

#3 - 74 Church St, Walker, 1901
There is a Church St, but the whole area looks like very new housing. It looks like there was an old street running North/South parallel to Wincomblee Rd. But it could have been that the original Church St, ran through the new housing estate on Anville Cr up to Station St. Can anyone confirm either?

#4 - 1 Rosehill Gardens, Willington, 1904
The only Rosehill I can see in the area is that part of the A193 seems to be called Rosehill Tynemouth Rd. Would Rosehill Gardens have been an estate or property 106 years ago?

#5 - 12 Orde Ave, Willington, 1911
This also looks like the old houses have been replaced by a new estate. There is a faintly marked Orde Ave that is enclosed by Glanton Close and crossing Archer St. Is this the same one as in 1911?

#6 - 45 Diamond Row, Walker, 1927
I can't find any reference to a Diamond Row in/around Walker. There is Diamond St in Wallsend (North Tyneside). Is this the same address? The street seems to have the back entrance to the houses on other streets, could this be the reason it's called "Row"?

Any help appreciated.
Edwards, O'shannessy, Maloney, Keirven; from Ireland to Australia

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 19th Century addresses in Walker, Willington
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 March 10 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi MH,
If click on this link http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm then choose the search tab and enter the postcode NE6 4LT it will bring up a modern day map of Fisher St. You can choose different time periods from the drop down box. You can pan round the maps to look for other streets.

Added: the post code NE6 3BT 1894-1899 map will find Diamond Row, Church street is supposed to be on the same image but I was unable to see it.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 March 10 17:14 GMT (UK) »
hi
http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/

this link might help,they have St Anthonys & Bill Quay 1912 which has the bottom part of Church St on and Walker & Hebburn 1914 which has the top part on.
The Willington Quay 1895 has an area called Rosehill with a Rosehill Terrace.

hope this is of help.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GraSa

• RootsChat Extra
  • John & Mary Salkeld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 March 10 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Here is a picture of Rosehill Terrace looking back from Church Bank, Wallsend

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wallsend-near-Newcastle-Tynemouth-Rose-Hill-Tram_W0QQitemZ260470103510QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Postcards_MJ?hash=item3ca53a5dd6

Bit of an unusual place to look for a picture of Wallsend but always worth a try

Hope this helps

Graham
Salkeld - Durham, Northumberland & Westmorland
Winter - Shap, Westmorland
Bailiffe - Askham, Westmorland
Balmer - Kirby Stephen & Milburn, Westmorland
Tait - Durham & Northumberland

Offline Demeter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 March 10 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi MH,

I grew up in Wallsend (Willington/Willington Quay is part of Wallsend).

I can remember Orde Avenue.  It was beside Archer Street, I'm not sure if it crossed it though.  The houses were pretty old when I was growing up, so I'd guess they were definately there in 1911

Dem
Robson/Taylor Northumberland
Church/Money/Swoish/Swash Norfolk
Davison/Love Scotland & Tyneside

Offline Demeter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 March 10 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi again MH,

Are you certain it's Victoria Street?  There's a Victoria Terrace and a Victoria Avenue in Wallsend, both built pre 1911.  Victoria Terrace is still there, it's off Station Road opposite the Buddle School (now an arts centre).  I don't recall a Victoria Street, but there may well have been one.

Dem
Robson/Taylor Northumberland
Church/Money/Swoish/Swash Norfolk
Davison/Love Scotland & Tyneside

Offline mh_deadwoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 March 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks folks, your replies have been very helpful.

Hi again MH,

Are you certain it's Victoria Street?  There's a Victoria Terrace and a Victoria Avenue in Wallsend, both built pre 1911.  Victoria Terrace is still there, it's off Station Road opposite the Buddle School (now an arts centre).  I don't recall a Victoria Street, but there may well have been one.

Dem

Yes, the entry is on the 1891 Census record and lists the address as Victoria St No 57. With:
Administrative County: Northumberland
Civil Parish: Longbenton
Urban Sanitary District: Walker
Village: Walker
Parliamentary Borough or Division: Tyneside
Ecclesiastical District: Christ Church Walker

David (MH comes from MyHeritage which comes from the email acct I setup originally to do the research in MyHeritage).

Offline mh_deadwoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 March 10 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi MH,
If click on this link http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm then choose the search tab and enter the postcode NE6 4LT it will bring up a modern day map of Fisher St. You can choose different time periods from the drop down box. You can pan round the maps to look for other streets.

Added: the post code NE6 3BT 1894-1899 map will find Diamond Row, Church street is supposed to be on the same image but I was unable to see it.

Gary

Bingo. The 1894-1899 map shows Church St running roughly NS, from Welbeck Rd and the Catholic Church in the north, down past the Christ Church to the new estate I listed above.

Question, do the house numbers in Northumberland run north-south for low to high?

David

Offline ordinary_jo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 May 14 03:06 BST (UK) »
Hi. 
Re: your query about Church Street in Walker, Newcastle upon Tyne. 
I recall the original Church Street from when I was a child living in Walker in the 1960s - it ran from Welbeck Road, at the site of the Catholic Church of St Anthony of Padua, also a Roman Catholic school.  (The Roman Catholic kids and the Church of England kids from the school further down Welbeck Road used to have the odd dust up after school in the 60's - in fact, I found out later that the entire area of Walker used to be known as "little Rome" due to the large numbers of catholics living there, with many descended from Irish immigrant laborers who worked in the local shipyards etc).  My father attended the Catholic school as a child.  Church Street then ran along past the Church of England Church, or Walker Parish Church (http://www.walkerparishchurch.org.uk/), where my most of my (known) ancestors were married and christened.  My maternal Grandfather was buried in the cemetery there in 1935.  I keep meaning to search for the other family records.
To put some "flesh on the bones" for the area, I recall Church Street in the mid to late 60s as a straight road probably built in the mid-Victorian period.  There were various family run shops - butchers, grocers, chemists, etc, in the era before supermarkets.  There were flats above the shops.  I can't recall much about the houses there.  A treat for us as kids was a visit to the toyshop there.  Our old doctors surgery was on or near Church Street, near the Catholic church.  My maternal grandparents first home was in Church Street after they married in 1929.  Gran described this as one room, which the landlady describes as "furnished" as it had a bed frame and had lino on part of the floor - and charged higher rent accordingly.  The street had trams, or trolley buses, running along it.  I recall that in the late 60's the area was "redeveloped" and all the old shops were knocked down.  A new shopping centre, the Church Walk shopping centre,  was built around a central square, with Walker social club along one side.  A new doctors surgery (http://www.walkermedical.nhs.uk/) was also built opposite the church and churchyard (about which my grandmother drily remarked, "That's handy" - briefly summing up her opinion of the medical profession).  Church Street was originally (to my child's eyes) a straight road, but after the 60's redevelopment it had a "kink" in the road near the Parish church, the route for cars was blocked, and it afterwards ran alongside the park as a footpath only.  Walker Park hospital was also near there, and would have been on or very close to Church Street - we used to call this "the accident hospital", as it was where the local parents used to take the kids for treatment for various childhood scrapes - it was probably originally a cottage hospital, probably Victorian.  I don't know if it's still there.  The original Victorian houses were demolished in the 60s when the area was redeveloped, and new blocks of flats were built to replace these dwellings.  (The ones I recall were Walker House, Parade House, Churchwalk House(?), Titan House, and a couple more whose names I can't recall.  I believe that Hexham Avenue ended at one end at the old Church Street? I have had a quick look on google maps, and the location of the old Church Street as I knew it is indistinct now - I would guess that it ran somewhere parallell to Duncan Street, or it is possible that Duncan Street is the old Church Street?  https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Walker+Parish+Church/@54.9720278,-1.5469255,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xc0187281fc76f65a  Trace a path between the Roman Catholic Church on the corner of Church Street and Welbeck Road (http://www.rcdhn.org.uk/churches07/churchcontact.php?chid=205) and Walker Parish Church (http://www.walkerparishchurch.org.uk/), and the footpath running along by Walker Park, and this is where Church Street was, originally.  I'm sorry I can't provide any recent info or recollection after the early 80's, as I moved to the south of England, then to Europe, many years ago.
With kind regards.