Author Topic: working in ghana and sumatra  (Read 5570 times)

Offline Martin King

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: working in ghana and sumatra
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 January 06 23:06 GMT (UK) »
You ask how our grandfathers would have obtained jobs in these far distant countries.  I can only speculate that companies in far-off countries would have advertised in countries with developed mining industries.

You say that according to information you have the Dutch really opened up the mine in 1910, but it appears it had been worked for many centuries before that, which company did your grandfather work for?  Given the achievements in the rest of my grandfather's career, I feel he would not have stayed there the time he did (1902-8) unless the Lebong Donok mine was in significant production for a good proportion of it.  I can add nothing to the name of the company I gave in my first reply other than that it is a straight translation of the original Dutch in the birth certificate “Mijnbouw Maatschappij Rejang Lebong”.

The name Erdmann & Sielcken means nothing to me.

You ask if I have any pictures of the mine in Sumatra.  I have no pictures of any mine.  I do have one family group in 1906 in Sumatra on the veranda of what is presumably the residence, which conveys little except something of the style of the house.  I also have a picture of the exterior of what is alleged to be his house in the Celebes a few years earlier.  It has much in common with the visible detail of the Sumatra house, but sufficient difference to believe it is not the same house.

A cutting about him from the January 1937 number of “The Gold Mining Record” says his prospecting in West Africa was for “Consolidated Gold Fields”.  It also refers to Rejang Lebong as “well known”.  If you can find a reference library with contemporary numbers of this Journal, you may be able to find out more about Rejang Lebong.

If you are interested in more details of my grandfather’s life, he has an entry in Who Was Who 1941-1950.

Offline stellajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 March 06 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My great grandfather Benjamin Williams also worked in the gold mines in Sumatra. It would appear he is the same one as yours!
Please send message to discuss further

Thanks
Stella Jones
Williams, Parfitt, Coombes/s, Jones, Price, Tasker

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 March 06 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stella,
Seems that you have been trying to get in touch, in here and on http://www.healeyhero.co.uk/help_p9.htm site, i think from that site you know we are related.
Please e-mail me and i will fill in alot of the missing information.
i guess you have searched through rootchat site and found quite a bit but i have more.
Kind regards
Paul Williams
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 December 07 17:24 GMT (UK) »
found the shipping information on findmypast.com for my grandfather's trips out to Batavia in 1911; 1915; 1922 and 1928.
its worth checking out even without paying you can discover very useful information.
regards
Paul Williams
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline ekobudisantoso

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 April 12 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hello
If your grandfather worked in the gold mines in Sumatra. I know exactly where that place is. Because I live in the small town Muara Aman that is not far from that place. In 1990 the name of that place was Lebong Donok, but now the name is Lebong Tambang (Tambang means Minning). If you want to go to that, I will give you that place address:

Desa: Lebong Tambang
Kecamatan: Lebong Utara
Kabupaten : Lebong
Provinsi: Bengkulu
Indonesia
Post Code: 39164

I wish that this information can help you
Regards
Eko Budi Santoso

Desa: Village
Kecamatan: Subdistrict
Kabupaten: District
Provinsi: Province

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 August 12 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Eko Budi Santoso

Thank you for this information.
kind regards
Paul Williams

Offline PIEPER

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 05:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I only just came across your post from 15 years ago. I have 2 prints which used to hang on my gran's wall; 1 of 'Onderneming Lebong Donok der M.M. Redjang-Lebong' (Ernest Dezentje 1924) and the other 'Onderneming Lebong Tandai der M. M. Limau' (original painting by Ernest Dezentje 1935). I don't know the history as my gran didn't tell me anything except that my grandfather's family 'had' (owned or ran???) these mines pre-WW2.  I have never been able to find any more information about my family because pretty much everything was destroyed in the wars and there is no one left alive to tell me. I know his dad's family originated from Germany, Holland and Switzerland and his mother was Indonesian (my great grand mother). I have a few photos of her. Very interested in finding out more.

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi PIEPER,
Great to see a picture and I am still seeking more information and have found over the years a few Dutch whose relatives worked in the Gold Mines there.
Please have a look at my blog there is more information there which I have collated.
http://williamsfamilytree.blogspot.com/
Kind Regards

Paul Williams