Author Topic: BELL / BROOMHEAD  (Read 1835 times)

Offline dombell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BELL / BROOMHEAD
« on: Friday 12 March 10 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm new to this genealogy lark (and already addicted!) and would be grateful for any help.

I'm tracing the Bell name back and have come to a brick wall with my 5x Great-Grandfather, George Bell.  From IGI, I have acertained that he married a Grace Broomhead at All Saints, Wakefield in 1789.  They had a number of children in Royston, near Barnsley, one of them being my 4 x GGF, Joseph Bell, born in 1796.  In fact most of the rest of the Bell line after him were born in or around the Barnsley area and involved in mining, right up to my father.

I can only find one possible Grace Broomhead in IGI - born in Chesterfield.  Searches for births of George Bell, have returned over 200 possibilities - mainly from the Yorkshire, Northumberland, Cumberland and Scotland.

I never thought I would get back this far (1789) and don't want to stop now!

If anyone's got any ideas, I would be really grateful.

Dominic

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BELL / BROOMHEAD
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 March 10 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dominic,
welcome to Rootschat.
The best place to start would be the parish records where Grace and George married.
IGI has much information that is true and proven- that is from parish records but some is also submitted by family descendants etc - often it must be said from correct information but not always backed by records.

There is a marriage submission for Grace in Chesterfield so you do need to be wary, it may be the one baptised there and she married (supposedly) William Trueman.
Not all records are on that site so your Grace may well have originated in Yorkshire.

best wishes
heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dombell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BELL / BROOMHEAD
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 March 10 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Many thanks for that.  Must say I have been quite sceptical of some of the IGI submissions.  You can imagine my delight when I came across a less common name like Broomhead, as opposed to Bell.  Thought it would narrow down the search.  Mr 'Google' has been working overtime with that name!

Looks like a trip across the Pennines for me then!

Best regards,

Dominic