Author Topic: What is my ancestor wearing and what date would this be please  (Read 10008 times)

Offline Cockneygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is my ancestor wearing and what date would this be please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 March 10 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thankyou for your replies, I must admit the prospect of it possibly being to do with a peerage of the realm sounds intriuging, would certainly be interested in more news on this. Your help is very much apprceiated.   Not sure about the light dragoons though??
Kind regards, Cockneygirl.
Burt. Haines, Ritchie, Flood etc. etc.

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 March 10 16:15 GMT (UK) »
One other thought is do you have a name for the person? Maybe we could do a search and possibly come up trumps.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Cockneygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 March 10 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
I am not absolutely sure of his name, although I am certain he would be an ancestor of my father's side. Looking back I think he could possibly be Boheme or Bohemia Burt born around 1770/1775 or one of his sons, my great great great grandfather John Burt whom I believe was a master baker (born 1802). Thinking about that could it have been some sort of regalia to do with his profession.???  Possibly it is neither of them but he bears a striking resemblance to my father and other members of the Burt family. We also have a butcher who owned his own shop, but I think he might be too late for this photo. Cockneygirl

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 March 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Just guessing, but the flower looks a bit like a primrose, and the insignia on his left lapel looks like the shape of a Maltese Cross.

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 March 10 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Google:

Freemasons:

The Orders of the Commandery are:
  Order of the Red Cross
  Order of Malta <-------------------------------------------
  Order of the Temple

Each of these organizations has its own names for the officers (maybe LD is the rank or lodge?)

Paul

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 March 10 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Paul. Now you mention it the tie pin looks like the Sign of the Knights Templar.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Cockneygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 March 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou very much  everyone for all your help. So is the Freemasons Order of Malta the definate answer do you think, you seem pretty sure. I looked it up but couldnt see the actual badge he is wearing, but if you know better then that is fine by me.  Any ideas on age of photo at all please? 
Would you think that if this is my Boheme or Bohemia that he might be Maltese then only it is a very unusual christian name??

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 March 10 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cockneygirl  :)

The photograph is no earlier than 1870s, and probably no later than 1890, and the man pictured looks to be in his 50s, so you're most likely looking for someone born 1820-1840.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Cockneygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 March 10 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue,
Thankyou so much for your help with my photo age. Then this must be my great grandfather Henry Charles Burt, who was born 1839. He was a butcher who owned his own shop and employed two of his sons and one man.
I just want to thank everyone else who have helped me with this photo I appreciate all your replies and suggestions., and I think I now have my ancestor identified.
Kind regards to you all. Cockneygirl.