Author Topic: WEST & O DOWD  (Read 3476 times)

Offline MALLA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WEST & O DOWD
« on: Sunday 14 March 10 17:53 GMT (UK) »
George West  1806 - 1878
M - Mary O'Dowd or Dowd
no idea of the date but think it was in Tubbercurry Sligo as George's parents were
from there Charles & ?? (mother)
looking for any info from Ireland along with info on son William born about 1832.
Was told he went the US about 1850.
I know not may records if any are available for this time period. I read Geroge was a sexton.
thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WEST & O DOWD
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 March 10 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Your previous post on someone else's thread has slightly different information-
I am looking for INFORMATION for Mary O'Dowd who married George West. I found he may have been born 1806. He died May 3 1878. He was the village sexton for Tubbercurry.
Some other info sent to me suggested the name was not Mary but was Alice?  I would be most grateful for any information on this couple. I know they had a son William Dowd West born about 1832. Are there any records at all that are available? Old church book for St, George's in Tubbercurry. Would there be pictures of the grave for the above couple? Any records for info on their son William. Anything at all  would be appreciate.
thank you
MALLA
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 19:47 GMT (UK) »
The only source for early records are the church records. Sligo records available at http://sligo.brsgenealogy.com/ - free to search but cost €5 each to view records. There is a record of a George West born 1803, not in Tubbercurry but in Sligo Town, baptism in St John's Church of Ireland Union.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline MALLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 March 10 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
I do not like to give credit card info on the internet. I am going to use snail mail to the site you suggested in Ireland and hope for the best.

Offline mmccook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 December 10 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am interested in the Wests of Sligo county Ireland as well. I have a William Clarence West born  about 1819 in Sligo  Silgo who moved to Tattykeeran in county Fermangh. The name George was of interest to me as it is in the family as well. i believe I have the correct middle name for William West. His son was William John West. There was also a George, Charlie, Margaret (who moved to Victoria Aus) Sophia Ann and Josephine. I have photos of William John 9also moved to Sydney) and Margaret