Author Topic: New lap top  (Read 11780 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New lap top
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I just tried the free down load and also found it a bit fiddly.  What I don't understand is why they can make my old scanner work and Epsom can't.
I have decided to buy a new scanner.  I gave up smoking a month ago.  And by my reckoning at £6 a day I have at least £180 to spend!
Suggestions please,
Abiam2

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 22:14 GMT (UK) »

? so you upgrade to another OS, and then give epson stick for their item not working,
would think it should be MS you should be annoyed at,
then you tell epson your not buying their product and get the huff when they don't reply lol
if your scanner doesn't work in windows 7 then the chances of it working via the network to another computer are small,
if you want just to scan occasionally? then install it on the laptop,
or maybe bite the bullet and buy an epson all in one :P

As Stevie says for scanner software Vuescan does work in W7, i tried it but find it to fiddly for what i wanted,
but for those who want an occasional scan it does the job ;)

Les

Whilst I agree to some degree with what you say, it is important for manufacturers to support their products or at least offer a work around for those who own their products....I can understand folks getting upset because an otherwise serviceable product now doesn`t work & can see your point about who`s fault is it.

I`ve said this before....Maybe Companies should say how long they will support a product? I have an Epson Scanner which is 6 years old & it works fine on Win7 64bit (Epsom have drivers & software), the Op`s Scanner is 8yrs old, Is 8yrs too old?

You cannot blame Microsoft (Hack-Spit) for bringing out a new O/S, surely Hardware manufacturers must share some responsibilities for making their products work under a new O/S?

Maybe the OP should wait a while & see if Epsom come up with a newer driver?

But I do support the theory that if a Manufacturer can`t be bother to support their older products it doesn`t give one confidence for the future.

Steve

yep i do agree that companies should keep on top of things, maybe 8 years is pushing the boat a bit,
especially an item that can be bought for £20-£50,
as i say i have an epson rx640 and before that i had all the rx range, and when i found my scanner wouldnt work,
i bought another all in one for £50 ish, wont use it for a printer as i have a LARGE bag of inks for the 640 and the printer is excellent,
just couldnt be bothered losing the rest of me hair trying to get it working or waiting for epson to sort it lol,
i sort of had a similar problem as Leiper48 as the rx is is on my mac and networked to xp machines, and the problem arose when loading W7 on my laptop, as i say i just found it less stressfull to buy summat that worked out of the box and have a spare ;)

Offline Leiper48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 18 March 10 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Les, Stevie,

Thanks for you comments. What I didn't say was that I had already failed to get any sense from Microsoft about the scanner - its like writing to Santa to complain about your presents!
 The reason I was annoyed about the scanner is that its not a bog standard one, but one I specifically chose because it scans 35mm slides and 2" glass plate mounted pics that my grandfather made dating back to the 1920's. Great for family history stuff.
 I'll try Vuescan when I'm feeling strong enough, thanks for the advice.

John
Morton, Leiper, Donaldson, Hamilton, Balantyne, Torrance, Steel, Wilson, Young, Smith, all from Ayrshire/Lanarkshire, Scotland
Pearce, Day, Chiddy, Kingdon, Dunn: Southern England
Darbyshire: Lancashire
Derbyshire, Owen, Jones : N Wales
Beatty, Lannon: Waterford, Ireland

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 18 March 10 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Help,
I downloaded Vuescan yesterday.  There is probably no connection but this morning there was a message saying my computer couldn't be started!  They would try and repair it.  Half an hour later they were still trying.  Can't remember what happened next but I managed to shut down.  It did ask if I had added a camera or music player.  I hadn't the only things added were the new Finepix instructions from CD and I was using the instructions on another cd to see how to use the camera.  I did not join camera to computer.

Left it for another half an hour and tried again.  And it starts.  Whilst using it this morning I get a message saying Internet explorer has stopped working.

I know it is probably nothing to do with Vuescan but I want to get rid of it anyway.  It says delete the entire folder there are no files installed elsewhere on the system.  But I can't find the folder,
Abiam2
PS I'm scared to turn it off in case it happens again!

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 18 March 10 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Help,
I downloaded Vuescan yesterday.  There is probably no connection but this morning there was a message saying my computer couldn't be started!  They would try and repair it.  Half an hour later they were still trying.  Can't remember what happened next but I managed to shut down.  It did ask if I had added a camera or music player.  I hadn't the only things added were the new Finepix instructions from CD and I was using the instructions on another cd to see how to use the camera.  I did not join camera to computer.

Left it for another half an hour and tried again.  And it starts.  Whilst using it this morning I get a message saying Internet explorer has stopped working.

I know it is probably nothing to do with Vuescan but I want to get rid of it anyway.  It says delete the entire folder there are no files installed elsewhere on the system.  But I can't find the folder,
Abiam2
PS I'm scared to turn it off in case it happens again!

the folder should just be in C, and named vuescan not in programme files ;)

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 18 March 10 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Les, Stevie,

Thanks for you comments. What I didn't say was that I had already failed to get any sense from Microsoft about the scanner - its like writing to Santa to complain about your presents!
 The reason I was annoyed about the scanner is that its not a bog standard one, but one I specifically chose because it scans 35mm slides and 2" glass plate mounted pics that my grandfather made dating back to the 1920's. Great for family history stuff.
 I'll try Vuescan when I'm feeling strong enough, thanks for the advice.

John

as i say John only option i'm afraid is to install on your laptop, or vuescan,
maybe see how you get on with vuescan first, you may decide not worth the ££ to use,
i deffo prefer epson scan and faster ;)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 18 March 10 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Les, all done,
Abiam2

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 18 March 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
These problems are definitely putting me off the planned upgrade, but this computer is now definitely creaking!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 18 March 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I feel guilty about all this because I bought a Win 7  laptop in January and,  because I had lots of XP programs and  peripherals  that were over 2 years old, I checked up on which operating system I should get. I ordered Windows 7 Professional and all my old programs and my peripherals have run without any problems whatsoever.

I can only say how good Win 7 is - tis fast and furious

Sorry  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***