Author Topic: BAYNTON/BAINTONfamily  (Read 5965 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: BAYNTON/BAINTONfamily
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon

Don't worry you've not wasted anybody's time, its part of the learning process and bouncing ideas allows you to reassess things. 

As for 20 years between James and Sarah, well my 3x Great Grandmother had 15 children over a 27 year period because she was only 19 when she started!  20 years is often the norm, 27 is a bit of an extreme but it happened.

If you can't connect the Strickland name to Samuel's wife's family, then you may be right that it could be Mary's maiden name.  There is no marriage appearing on ancestry after 1754 for a Thomas and Mary at that time.  This can be for two reasons, unfortunately, either there wasn't one in London or its not on the records that ancestry have put online.  It is also possible it could be before 1754 which with James Lewis Bainton in 1753 that is a possibility.  I'll have a look and see what I can find, although it may take a few weeks since I'm a bit busy at the moment.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline simona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nicola, Thank you again. I see so this was rather common then to have a wide age range between sibblings.  I have looked into Samuel's wifes family and have not found anything at all on his sons middlename of Strickland, so this is why I think that this was Samuel's mother maiden surname. I see so if they were married before 1754 that is why I am unable to find anything. Lastly thanks again for taking the time to look, your time and effort is very much appreciated.
Best Regards, Simon

Offline David Gee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 May 20 11:22 BST (UK) »

Alison Wall wrote a comprehensive history of the Baynton Family for the Oxford Biography. In it she describes the possible  cionfusion surrounding the children of Sir Edward Baynton of Bromham and Agnes Rhys which some, including myself, our trying to link with William Baynton and Joan Baning,

"This Edward was much embroiled in lawsuits over land. His first wife, Agnes, daughter of Sir Griffith Rhys, whom he married about 1553, had been left an interest in lands belonging to William, Lord Stourton, whose mistress she had been. Stourton's heir tried, but eventually failed, to counter Agnes's claim to Stourton lands, and she and Edward held them from 1557. It is somewhat surprising that Baynton married her: there were rumours that she and Lord Stourton had actually married, and although unfounded they worried the Bayntons. So a memorial brass to Edward Baynton's two wives insisted that Agnes, who died in 1574, was 'his first trew wife' (Kite, 63). Their eldest son, William, died in 1564, allegedly the victim of witchcraft."