Author Topic: Isaac Sutherland  (Read 36133 times)

Offline jmd1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Sutherland
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this information - it has been very helpful. It will let me 'flesh out' the info I have. Particularly happy to now have a photo of Isaac.
I know Isaac was listed as a farmer in the Directory of Victoria (Baillieres) 1869 list. Do you know where his farm was?
regards jmd

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 12 January 12 00:15 GMT (UK) »
When I was at Bannockburn I met with other family but no info on other homes was given and Isaac dealt in a lot of land being a builder

.. a new housing estate has gone up behind the old pub called Somerset estate..

I think if given a chance it would be best to go to the council offices there...

I will do that next trip down.But that could be a year off at this stage.

Here is a photo of Robert Sutherland and his death registration

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 12 January 12 00:17 GMT (UK) »
sorry the death rego didn't work

Offline billphillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 12 January 12 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi all you Sutherland's.  I just couldn't watch this conversation any longer without getting involved (I have been sitting on the side for 6 months).  So I signed up today just to let you know that there is a Phillips re-union at Ballarat this year in April, and every Phillips there will have Sutherland blood flowing through their veins.  I have all the information on the land around Bannockburn owned by Isaac, his sons Robert and William, and his daughters Catherine and Christina.  When bought, when sold, and the locations.
It would be fantastic to have some Sutherlands come along and catch up with your Phillips relatives.   

Esther, the head stone laying down, I believe is one of the Cattanach children, which would be Isaac's Grandson (Duncan) from his daughter Christina, who married John Cattanach. 
I met your dad many years ago, and gave me a program he was using called "my Brothers keeper".  It has almost every branch of the family right through to about the 80's.  I guess you have a copy.

Ben,  I cant find you on my tree, so I guess you are in your 30s or younger and probably related through either James who passed away in 1953 or Edward, who I have no information on.  I am looking forward to filling in some blanks on James McFarlands Sutherland's side...  he just seems to have dropped of the radar in Bannockburn.

Hi Heath, I got you e-mail.  Bring as many of your rellies as possible, we need to out number the Masons this year, I hear their numbers are increasing and the Phillips numbers are dwindling.

Looking forward to hearing from you all,
Bill

Offline billphillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 12 January 12 09:34 GMT (UK) »
jmd1,  Sorry but my post to you just disappeared into cyber space.  I tried to send an attachment showing the land which Isaac purchased and where it was in relation to your Roberts farm.  I think it was the wrong format, but I am going to try and find out where I went wrong and send it to you again.  I will get back to you with the details...
Bill

Offline ejbirch2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 12 January 12 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

My father, Bob Gale, did a lot of work on the various arms of our family and I am sure he corresponded with and probably visited many of his close and distant cousins in the process.  After Dad died in 1997 my husband exported his files as Gedcom files so that his research would not be lost.  Last year my daughter, Erica, and I used these Gedcom files as the start for our research by loading them in to Family Tree Maker.  So I guess we have had a flying start all these years later.

I also have an amount of Dad's correspondence and printouts (whether his or others I am not always sure).  And photos - unfortunately not always labelled.  I have barely scratched the surface of these, but have recently started sorting and scanning them.

I wished that we had had a man or two with us on the day Erica and I visited Bannockburn cemetery, I so much wanted to lift up that headstone! :)

Erica and I would be keen to meet up with you and others at the Phillips reunion, so please let us know where and when it will be held in Ballarat. 

Regards,

Esther Birchall

Gale, Pederick, Perkins, Winnett, Wilson, Sutherland, Gunn, Birchall, Green, Veale, Brereton, Kerr, Artt, Croft

Offline billphillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 12 January 12 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Esther,  thanks for the speedy reply...
The re-union is on Sunday April 15, from 10:00 am. 
In the Ballarat Gardens, near the Glass House there is a meeting room in the "Robert Clark Horticultural Centre".
Tea and Coffee are supplied, but bring your own lunch.
I look forward to meeting you and your family, as it was at this re-union I first met your dad about 20 years ago.
I have only just recently found the land (33 acres) which William Sutherland purchased in Bannockburn, and once I work out how to do the attachment, I will send a copy.  It was just above the cemetery and to the left.

Bill

P.S.  If this attachment comes through, William's land is in the top right corner beside the dark green blocks.  You can see the 33 just before it is cut off

Offline billphillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 12 January 12 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Esther, I meant above the cemetery and to the right.  In fact you probably drove right by it getting to the cemetery.
Bill

Offline ejbirch2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 12 January 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Bill,

Many thanks,  the map downloaded just fine.  And now I know that we drove past William's land when we went to the cemetery!

I've put 15 April in my calendar!

Cheers

Esther
Gale, Pederick, Perkins, Winnett, Wilson, Sutherland, Gunn, Birchall, Green, Veale, Brereton, Kerr, Artt, Croft