Author Topic: COMPLETED: JOHNSTONE Mary married BROWN William  (Read 11704 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: JOHNSTONE Mary married BROWN William
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 March 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget

- the very minute my head hit the pillow I realized I should have been looking for George in 1851 as father of Charles - as per the other thread - here he is as brother - strange. I Do think you seem to have the right Charles though.    This family is confusing me!

i was thinking all those kids were brothers and sisters  - from George on - oops - yes that is your thinking also!  Now I'm getting it right.  I think that looks more promising that the first Charles ref. for 1851.  Staying with Aunt Elizabeth maybe?

What has me stumped is that I started out looking for a David and Mary Johnstone marriage - and instead there is a whole family of siblings with David and Mary in it.  The names are all seemingly right - but the parents David and Mary don't seem to be there!   Strange.

The Robert I am most interested in is Robert Brown, Mary's father-in-law, and I can find them in 1851 with their children, at Dryfesdale. 

The Robert Johnstone (1851/51) is a bonus Robert!  I think that the Mary (1841 census) is probably my g-g-grandmother - g-g-g-grandmother Mary is missing with her husband- Are you confused? I am!

Back to look some more

Wiggy

Just had a thought - I wonder if that family of 11 children  1841, is two families with half of the being cousins (or half siblings) of the others -  this requires more looking and thinking from me!  thought the birth-years sequence doesn't suggest that does it?
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 March 10 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wiggy

They are an odd collection on the 1841 but  I do think that they are yours. I don't see any definite  baptisms for any of them though  :-\

What religion were they when they got to Australia?

Gadget

PS - to order Eng & Wales BMD certs:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 March 10 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Anglican - Church of England/Scotland I think - that is the area of the cemetery they are buried in so I reckon!

Thanks for the address - have just written/emailed to Scotlandspeople to ask how to go about it - I tried this morning but couldn't get past first base - I am already registered with them but find the site tricky - (for beginners like me!)

Wiggy
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 March 10 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Been to the site you told me - it only seems to be for England and Wales - correct??   So I can't get Scottish certs that way?   Oh well it will be good if I start going for others south of the border!

Wiggy
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 March 10 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Now things are moving - found William and Mary's marriage , William's birth and Mary's possible birth - Mary Corrie is the ?mother which I found - couldn't find the other two you mentioned.   Can't seem to get a hook

Hope you are not spending credits doing all this looking for me - I didn't realize one can't see anything free - well I can't - don't know if you have indexes at home or not.

Many thanks.    Haven't run to George and Charles yet -

Wiggy
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 March 10 06:23 GMT (UK) »
A thought occurs to me - rather late in the piece.

If we can't find Mary or David Johnstone maybe they have died - and maybe He married twice and Elizabeth is his second wife  -  the one with the large family in 1841?  How does that sit do you think?  Just trying to think of all the permutations! 

I've been trying to find David Snr  and can't really pin him down.

What I have found are:
 David Johnstone 1851, b Sorn, Ayrshire, 1778 with Mary 68 - living Heather House Mauchline  I think he's an Ag. Lab.   Seems a bit too old though - would have been 39 when first of 11 children were born!!   Mary Snr would have been about 34 - pretty old by time last one came along  - into her fifties in fact! can't find them associated with all those children listed in 1841 - a puzzle.   I don't think they are right.

then in 1861, David J 83 with Mary 78 - - same couple obviously             "    "        "        "         ".
I don't think these references will stand up to scrutiny. and I haven't yet found this couple in 1841 - yet!

The Mary Corrie I found seems to have been born in 1801 - makes her 16 when first child was born and not too old for last!

the best fit for her that I could find was Parish 578 Ed 2 p26 House 123 Roll CSSCT 1851
b. 1801 Living 182 High St, Closs.  Ag Lab's widow.     ( And father, David was listed as farmer on Mary Jnr's death cert.)
There was one other  which might have been suitable - 1861 David a ploughman living in Moffat with Mary 60  (so !801) Still no connection with all those children.

What do you think?  Am I even close to the mark?

Wiggy
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 March 10 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Been to the site you told me - it only seems to be for England and Wales - correct??   So I can't get Scottish certs that way?   Oh well it will be good if I start going for others south of the border!

Wiggy

Hi Wiggy

The cert refs that I gave you for Charles are Eng & Wales ones - he  married and died England .  For Scottish certs, you go through Scotlands People as usual.

Re the David/Mary conundrum ~ I think you should get Charles's marriage cert first as that will give his father's name and occupation.

It could be that the informant on Mary's death reg had given the wrong information - it happens quite often.

The marriage entry for Mary and William Brown states that she was of Hholmains, Dalton at the time of their marriage.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 March 10 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Aahh  - now I understand! 

I got my very first certs from Scotland today - well read outs actually - I think what I got for the marriage was actually a Banns proclamation - there were two Sundays listed. - but it is enough for now.

Well I could go for Charles marriage and death but I don't think they will help as he was given to us as son of George  - (that's what you helped me find with the testimonial way back when!)   I think he may have been David Snr's nephew - so not sure if it will help track down David and Mary - Still that will take us another generation back to where George and ? brother David senior came from.

(I bought 30 credits this morning with Scotlandspeople and though I can only see where 15 of them went, they say I have only 6 remaining!  I might have to wait to next pay day or I won't be able to pay the bills!!!  ;D  -  it gets addictive this game!)

I'll have a look at the Eng and Wales site.

Continuing thanks for your assistance Gadget.  I think you are correct about wrong information on Mary's death certificate Mary Brown- not a member of family giving info as far as I can tell.  haven't found Mary Snr yet. 
Golly the names get confusing!   but the people looking for today's names are going to have more trouble when people make up names and don't follow famiy tradition - will make life ver difficult!

Wiggy

It was about a C.A. Johnstone son of George Johnstone of Dinwoodie and Holmains[who was working in Manchester with a firm of druggists and chemists.   I am thinking George may have been the brother of David, our Mary's father.  Will pursue.
Obituary for C.A. JOHNSTONE of Dinwoodie and Holmains, - obit.  found in the 'Dumfries and Galloway Courier and Herald' on 23 January 1904.
This is from the other thread - so different man I think
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 March 10 10:56 GMT (UK) »
No I'm wrong it wasn't an obit it was a testimonial -  - I've written to GRO asking for costs of certificates - couldn't find it on their web page.  will chase it up tomorrow.  have all the data from posts 12 and 13  ready to enter and find things!

I'm going batty.  Sorry

Wiggy
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)