Author Topic: BAKER  (Read 1617 times)

Offline MostHopeful

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BAKER
« on: Tuesday 16 March 10 13:16 GMT (UK) »
My maternal great great grandmother was Gwenllian Anthony b1805c in Llandeilofawr, married in 1827 to Robert Baker. I have managed to trace Gwenllian to the 1871 Census where she is recorded as residing in Cwmgiedd sadly as a pauper with no family. I have tried bmd and all local churches/chapels but cannot find a death record, all to no avail. Can anyone help?

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BAKER
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 13:41 GMT (UK) »
What about (from freebmd.rootsweb.com )
Gwenllyan Baker, d. Jun 1875 Swansea district (age listed as 90)

The age could easily be wrong (either on the original or the transcription was wrong; e.g. the certificate said "70" but it made it onto the register as "90", or the person who registered the death really had no decent idea of her true age).
The spelling is pretty close.
There doesn't seem to be another Gwen* Baker in the 1871 census (at all, let alone one of the right age and location).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MostHopeful

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BAKER
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jorose, I have previously noted this entry being put off by spelling and age, but taking into account your thought, it could well be as she was 66 on the 1871 Census and she would have been 70 in 1875. I will visit the Neath RO and request a copy death certificate but I will ensure that it is the actual grt grt grd mother in my lineage before purchase.