Author Topic: Surnames in Cork?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Dmoors

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surnames in Cork?
« on: Tuesday 16 March 10 15:05 GMT (UK) »
When asked where in Ireland her family came from, my grandmother often said it was Cork. Her parents' surnames were O'Grady and McCloskey, and I've found that her great grandmothers' maiden names were Purtell (married O'Grady in Ire) and Carroll (married McCloskey in Ire). Her grandfather O'Grady's obituary says he was born in Kerry abt. 1849; but I've found no trace of him there (yet). My sister-in-law's family lives in Ireland, and they have told her that O'Grady and McCloskey weren't Cork names. I'm still looking for info that will give me an Irish county name for any of the surnames above, but so far am coming up empty. They went from Ireland to Durham, England, (and from there to PA) but that census info doesn't list a county. Just wondering if any of these surnames are Cork names.
O'Grady - Kerry to Durham to US/PA
Purtell
McClusky (or Clusky, McClosky) Ire to Durham to US
Carroll Ire to Durham OR to US/PA
Kenny
Moores became Moors; from England to Canada to US

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames in Cork?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 17:30 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 Irish cenus is available online. If you search for male o'gradys for example you see that just many were born in Cork as Kerry. You can try McCloskey yourself, and plot where the oldest can from.

And if you wait a few months they are due to put the 1901 census online as well so that with be more accurate.

Ken

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
we have ancestors in our family tree called Purtell who came from South Kilkenny. It is a corruption of the name Purcell. This name is quite common all over Ireland.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Many Co. Kerry church records are available online at - http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/ 

If any of the marriages took place in Ireland from 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic or registry office marriages) then they should be included in the Irish Civil BMD Index at familysearch. If you can find a cross match you may be able to narrow down an general location. Allow for variations in spelling when searching - e.g. try Grady and O'Grady, and M'Cluskey as well as McCluskly etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline heaven1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 19:06 GMT (UK) »
The surname Carroll, do you know if the Carroll's were from Millstreet, Cork?
That is where my family is from.
Vivian