Author Topic: Bassett/Edwards  (Read 5088 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bassett/Edwards
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Here is the family, complete with Edwin in 1871

RG 10 / 3849 / Folio 49 / Page 55

Devon Villa, West Derby, Lancashire

Henry Edwards, head, m, 34, shipowner, Sunderland
?Ij…ce do, wife, m, 32, Maidstone
Jane Bassett, boarder, widow, 51, annuitant, do
Ij….ce Edwards, daur, 13, Sunderland
Henry do, son, 10, do
Eliza do, daur, 8, do
Jane do, daur, 6, North Shields
Edwin do, son, 3, do

I have double-checked the Edwards/Bassett marriage of 1856, and the brides Christian name listed on the original image was Ijoice.

From where do you get the birthdate of 1857?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Edwin B. Edwards death cert from wherever he was in the US?  Those give more infomation that the British ones--well if the surviving family knows the history.  I know Pennsylvania ones asked parents names including mother's maiden.  His marriage application may also have infomation if you know what state and county it was.

It is an easy type-o to make a 5 for a 6.  Also with old typewriters it is hard to tell the difference.  Was Edwin in the US for the 1900 census?  They asked birth month and year.

That 1868 birth registration is most likely the one from that 1871 census.  A child born in the last few days of December would most likely be registered in the first quarter of the next year.  The registrations go by the date (Quarter)registered not the actual birthdate, death date or marriage.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
This family were living in Norfolk Virginia in 1880. The youngest daughter, Ada, was born in England in c. 1875.

Offline caedmonshymn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 23:45 GMT (UK) »
1857 birth date for Edwin Bassett Edwards comes from an unofficial record where he is listed as the spouse of his wife. The tree goes on to trace her lineage, not his. 

It's really a shot in the dark because there is so much suspicous behavior around this family. An old story goes that Edwin came into Texas through Port Isabel with his wife and older children- where they were first no ones seems to know and the children are all gone save the youngest.  My grandmother was born here, the story says, daughter to Edwin, but I can't locate a birth certificate for her here where we were told she was born.

Edwin got caught up in the law, supposed murdered a man- it's claimed in self defense- panicked, and took off for California.  He later returned and turned himself in.

The story goes on to say he and his brother came here from England.    The best bet may be to try to trace his brother's family (they may have more substantiated information).

It's so weird that there is debate on whether my grandmother's name really was Viola Edwards or if she was born Mary Violet Edwards.

And to add more confusion the Mexican naming system could have added a Garcia, her mother's maiden name into the name.

Offline caedmonshymn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 March 10 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Okay, more info came through ancestry.com.  The man I am looking for is Edward Edwards, not Edwin Edwards- though who knows that could be the name of his father.  He was born in 1867 I believe and may have had a brother named Wallace.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 March 10 09:37 GMT (UK) »
So....all that Basset/Edwards info I posted in replies 7, 8, 9, & 11 is of no interest to you ?

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 March 10 14:33 GMT (UK) »
What about the Bassett part?

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Samiluca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 March 24 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello , I know that this message was a long time ago but did you find out where Edward Bassett Edwards was from ?