Author Topic: 1813 Ballyeaston Congregation Census  (Read 28543 times)

Offline Antrim777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1813 Ballyeaston Congregation Census
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, jwagh
  I am doing the Robinson genealogy and was very interested in the book about Ballyeaston Presbyterian.  My great gtandfather, James Robinson, was born in Holestone in 1863, to Archibald Robinson and Jane Kielty.  They had another son, Samuel Robinson, born on 18 September, 1869, a daughter, Margaret, born 26 May1872, and a daughter, Jane, born 22 July, 1874.
  Archibald Robinson and Jane Kielty were married in May Street Presbyterian Church on May 31, 1861, and their witnesses were James Beggs and Jane Todd.  Archibald's fathere was Thomas Robinson, a farmer from Rashee.
  James immigrated to Boston in 1889, but, I believe that his brother, Samuel had a farm in Rashee at that time, and his sister, Margaret, married a Robert Erskine.
  Ballyeaston would have been a logical choice for church, I believe, so, if any of this sounds familiar, I would so appreciate the help.
                  Thanks, Antrim777

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 July 11 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Antrim 777

The History Book 'His House on the Hill' is avaible to buy from the Church website www.firstballyeaston.org

I have had a look at out Baptismal records and can find no Robinsons, Kielty or Erskine's you mentioned.

Regards

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline DHAMILL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 August 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have bben most interested in rerading your exchanges about the 1st Ballyeaston Presbyterian Church and action under way to computerise the baptism etc records.
I am pursuing some info on Baxters of Ballyboley and Headwood who were members of the 2nd Ballyeaston Church. The microfilm record in PRONI is very difficult to read and I am wondering if there is a similar project under way for this church. Would you be aware of any such development or who one might approach to view the original records.
Many thanks
denis

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 August 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Denis

Unfortunately there is no such project under way in 2nd Ballyeaston that I know of to computerise their records. In 1st Ballyeaston we computerised out Baptismal records about 20 years ago and are in the middle of doing our Marriage records. Its a long process but we hope to get finished some time.

Some of 2nd's records are a bit hard to read but the index for the early records helps. 

The microfilm copies at PRONI are images of the Original registers so they will also be hard to read.

What time frame are you looking for Baxters as I know the are gaps in the registers.

Regards

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline DHAMILL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 August 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Many thanks for your quick reply.
I should explain that I am making enquiries on behalf of a friend Denise living in New Zealand who is descended from James Baxter of Headwood/Ballyboley who emigrated there around 1884. James' date of birth is what Denise is trying to find. She thinks it was in 1861/2/3. His parents were Robert Baxter of Upper Ballyboley and Maria McKinstry of Graiginorne who married in Kikwaughter/Larne NSP church on 30 Nov 1855. I have found for Denise in the 2nd Ballyeaston details of some of the baptisms of children of the marriage:-1856 Elizabeth;1857 Mary Anne; 1859 Sarah; 1861 (no name). The PRONI microflim baptism record ends in 1862, begins again in 1865-7 and then 1883-1967. I also know from the LDS records that twins joseph and Robert Hugh were born in March 1864; a daughter Maria (who did not survive long) was born in June 1865 and finally another Maria was born in 1869 shortly before her mother Maria died in that year. Robert remarried in 1870 to Sarah Agnew of Craiginorne.
Unfortunately, as you can see, James' birth falls between the end of the church records in 1861 and the beginning of civil registration in 1864.
By the way, the parentsd of Robert baxter were James baxter and Mary Greenlees.
Anything you can do to pin down James' birth date or any other info on the family would be much appreciated.
best wishes
den

Offline terpol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 January 12 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi skels
I have just recently discovered your original post concerning Thomas Pollock and Eliza Haveron. Thomas Pollock was my g g grandfather. I was hoping you may have more information about both Thomas and Eliza. From your original post I have learnt that Thomas' father was Robert and Elizas' father was James, but I have no other information.

Thomas Pollock b 1843 d 1912 (father Robert Pollock b ? ) m Eliza Haveron b 1841 d ? (father James Haveron b ?)
children: Samuel b 1878 d ?
               Thomas b 1870 d ?(my g grandfather) m Lizzie Weir b 1875 ( William Weir b 1826 - Ellen Weir b 1838)
Hoping you may have a snippet of information
Regards terpol

Offline skels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 January 12 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terpol,

Sadly no at present I have no further info on Thomas & Elisa - it's quite some time since I worked on this line...........but that is not to say I have given up.

Where abouts are you based?....and could I ask how you connect back to to Thomas?.............it's just some years ago I had been given information relating to this line still in Kilwaughter, Larne NI, and even visited a cemetery there with my husband but sadly to no vail!!

From you message you say Thomas died in 1912 do you know the whereabouts of this death? 

This line has been very much my "Brick wall" but hopefully, with the help/assistance of another line of the family perhaps together we will be able to crack the ancestry of them all!!

I'm extremely interested in your Gt Grandmother's name Weir, as some work I did with another girl on the Pollock/Pogue line, thought that Robert Pollock/Pogue (b. c. 1810-20 father of our Sarah & your Thomas) may have had a wife names Agnes Weir...........she we think was his 2nd Wife .

Please feel happy to share whatever small amount of detail you have, as together we just might!!!!!!!!!........................be able to "crack the case" so to speak.

With Kindest regards

Lynn

Offline terpol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 January 12 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lynn
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I live in Victoria, Australia.
Thomas Pollock was my g g grandfather in direct paternal line and I know from Irish census of 1901 and 1911 he was bron in Co. Armagh which most of my Pollock descendents come from...in particular Larne Co. Antrim as was his son, my g grandfather, Thomas b 1870.

I will detail below what information I have gathered but  this is also my 'brick wall' in my search for ealier relatives.

From the date you give for Robert Pollock (b circa 1810-20) this seems quite possible he is Thomas' father but I have no evidence of any other children ie your Sarah.

Thomas Pollock m Eliza Haveron b 1841 d ?(f James Haveron, from information you supplied earlier)
children....Samuel b 1878 d?
                Thomas b 1870 d?(my g grandfather)
Thomas married Lizzie Weir b 1874 d ?
children....William Weir Pollock b 1899 d 1967(my granfather)
                 Hugh Alexander Pollock b 1898 d ?
                Mary Ellen b 1903 d ?
                Thomas b 1905 d?
                Isabella b 1908 d ?
I can expand further on my grandfather if you wish, just let me know and I will send details.

I have a copy of Thomas Pollocks b 1870, birth certificate, 1 March 1870 Headwood, Kilwaughter, his mother as Eliza Pollcok formerly Haveron.and his father Thomas, Kilwaughter NI

Weir
Lizzie Weir b 1874 d ? daughter of William Weir b 1826 d?-Ellen Weir b 1838 d?

I have a copy of Thomas and Lizzie's marriage certificate dated 12th Nov 1897
married in the First Larne Presbyterian church by John Lyle Douahley(difficult to read,maynot be correct spelling)
Thomas profession was 'labourer',place of residence at time of marriage, Kilwaughter, Lizzie 'spinster'.place of residence Millbrook.Her father listed as William Weir 'labourer'
Witness...Samuel Pollock(Thomas' brother)...Ellen Jane Weir (Lizzies' sister ?)

This is where my search has come to a dead end but I include the following information which may help.
William died prior to 1901 as the 1901 Irish census lists Ellen Weir as 'head of family' with her children,son in law (Thomas) and grandsons (incl my grandfather) listed.
Those children are....Lizzie b 1874....Ellen J (J=possibly Jane)b 1877 d?.....Alexander b 1882 d?
So William must have died sometime between 1882 and 1901
I have no other information about Ellen Weir (maiden name unknown)

If Agnes Weir was Roberts second wife, perhaps this is a coincidence but you never know.

Hope this information is of some help and I will keep searching and pass on any informatin I think relevent

Kind reagrds
Terence

Offline skels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 January 12 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terence,

Couple of further quick questions for you if you don't mind:

What were the names of your Grandfather William's children & where were they born? Ireland or Australia?

Who was the first of the family to arrive in Australia, did they go directly to Victoria or land at another point.

Just trying to get a starting point in Australia and then work backwards.

Many Thanks,
Lynn