Author Topic: compulsary civil registration  (Read 2713 times)

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: compulsary civil registration
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 March 10 20:50 GMT (UK) »
If you can't find a death, it may be one of the many registered as Male UNKNOWN or Female UNKNOWN (or even Unknown UNKNOWN) as the case may be.

There are other possibilities. For example, a death may not be recorded in the GRO index if the local Registrar inadvertently failed to copy the details.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Re: compulsary civil registration
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 March 10 13:08 GMT (UK) »
However I've been unable to find a death reg for my 3xgreat grandfather, I did half wonder if it was because he was the curates butler and the curate took the line that he didn't need some new fangled form to bury his own servant.

This seems to have been because I was foolishly looking for him under his proper name (Stockton) rather than the name he appears to have been registered under (Stockdale), occupation and place of residence match so we'll see what the cert says when it arrives.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk