Author Topic: Patrick FARRELL of Multyfarnham  (Read 11322 times)

Offline J Melia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick FARRELL of Multyfarnham
« on: Thursday 18 March 10 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have researching my family tree for a while now and have found some great information from this site, I have just got my Grandparents Marriage Certs as they were married at the church of Multyfarnham(RC) in 26th feb 1922 Patrick Melia & Alice Farrell.

On the certificate it tell me that Alice farrell's Father is Patrick Farrell and he was from Multyfarnham and was a Victualler(person who sells food or licenced to sell drink) and I heard he ran a shop/pub.

I have found on the 1911 census this record: Patrick Farrell, head, Victualler, Bridget Farrell, Wife 4 children, then Roseanne, bridget, Mary, all daughters, but no Alice, it did say she was a Servant on the Marriage cert, so that could explain why she isnt there, but I am 99% sure this is the family.
I also found another family very close which I think is linked Anne farrell, head, widow, Lawrence, son, carpenter, james, son & Alice, daughter, again this looks 99% of being my family, and in 1922 patrick is down as deceased and she did have a brother called lawrence.

So if anyone has anymore information on Patrick Farrell I would be very gratefull as I keep going around in circles, but getting closer.

Thanks John Melia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: PATRICK FARRELL OF MULTYFARNHAM
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 March 10 17:41 GMT (UK) »
....On the certificate it tell me that Alice farrell's Father is Patrick Farrell and he was from Multyfarnham and was a Victualler....

1920s marriage certs dont usually include where the father's lived, just the residence of the bride and groom at the time of the marriage..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline J Melia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick FARRELL of Multyfarnham
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 March 10 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane, my mistake it is for Patick & Alice, but it still says that Patrick was from Multyfarnham, when I always thought he was from Mullingar,(he deffinately lived there once they were married)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 March 10 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Afraid this is a bit confusing. I've never seen a civil marriage certificate where the father's residence is given- as Shane says, residences of bride and groom are shown.

You've an earlier thread looking for information on Farrells that says:
Lawerence Farrel I beleive they ran the Butchers shop in Multyfarnham
Bridget Farrell (wife)
Alice Farrell (daughter) she married Patrick Melia of Mullingar in about 1920-1930
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,441920.msg3051005.html#msg3051005

Obviously, this was before you had gotten Alice's marriage certificate (for which Shane had found the reference).
However, Shane also found an Alice Farrell in 1911 census living with widowed mother Anne. The only other Alice Farrell in Westmeath in 1911 census is in her father Thomas Farrell's household-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Westmeath/Athlone_East_Urban/Wolfe_Tone_Terrace/876180/

It looks from the marriage as Alice's father was Patrick Farrell but perhaps her mother was Anne (as in 1911 census) and not Bridget as you thought?
The best way to clear up this confusion would be to order Alice Farrell's birth certificate so that you can verify the names of both parents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 March 10 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane, my mistake it is for Patick & Alice, but it still says that Patrick was from Multyfarnham, when I always thought he was from Mullingar,(he deffinately lived there once they were married)

just to point out that is the address on the cert is just where he was living at the time of marriage... may not be where he is actually from (i.e. born).

Multyfarnham and Mullingar are not that far apart, just 14km

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline conmaxwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 16:26 BST (UK) »
                                                                                                                                               Barcelona.

Dear Mr Melia,
        I was born in Multyfarnham in 1960 and I know who you are referring to.The Farrells had a butchers shop in the village until about 1968.When I was a child it was run by Roseanne Farrell (who never married), her sister Bridget and Bridget's husband Stephen Leavy.The three of them liven in the house which contained the shop.The two women died aroung 1970 I think and Stephen Leavy died a bit later.The house is still there.Stephen and Bridget had one son Anthony Leavy, who is still alive.He spent a lot of his life in Dublin and about 3 years ago was one of a group of people who wrote a book about Multyfarnham.He still has links with the locality and if you are interested I can find out where he lives.I knew Stephen Leavy personally,I remember Bridget and Roseanne but I never knew them personally.
                                                                                              regards,
                                                                                                    Con Maxwell

Offline conmaxwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 16:31 BST (UK) »
 Hello again Mr Melia,
           Were are you?

Con Maxwell

Offline J Melia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much that is great,

I have just found Roseann on the 1901 census with Alice and their family,

I will tell my father tonight he will be very interested to hear this!

Sorry for the delay but I havent had internet access for a while, anymore info would be great

Thanks very much

Offline conmaxwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 September 10 09:10 BST (UK) »
                                                                                                                                 Barcelona.

Hello Mr Melia,
       Good to hear from you. I will try to find out where Anthony Leavy (your second cousin) lives.It should not be too difficult. Where are you?
                                                                           Con Maxwell