Author Topic: Adam Paterson  (Read 1777 times)

Offline vetina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adam Paterson
« on: Thursday 18 March 10 21:12 GMT (UK) »
My great great father born at strabane ,Ireland: 16/7/1842. More information  please!  your name is Adam Paterson. Your father: John Paterson.
Potts,Paterson;Bell;Walsh,Laughton.England(Loather,Wasteland, Manchester,Liverpool,Nether Denton,Carlisle, Homestead) .Ireland (Strainer)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Paterson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 March 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
Civil registration of births in Ireland (birth certificates) started in 1864. For earlier dates (such as this Adam Paterson) you need to search for church records once you know what religion the family were and where they lived- although sometimes the records don't go back far enough or don't exist any longer.

Can you tell us where you got the birthdate for Adam and if you know any more about him- for example, did he leave Ireland? do you know anything more about his family?, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 March 10 10:41 BST (UK) »
More details from vetina-

Adam Paterson marriage 18/11/1868 with Margaret Potts at St. James Church,New Brighton,England. The records have a family Bible that belonged to Margaret Potts, and now is mine. In 1869 they had their first daughter, Ann Paterson in Manchester and Marion Paterson in 1871. Then travel to Argentina, not find registers wich year traveling. I would like information abaut the PATERSON FAMILY alcrut his parents, his brothers, his grandfather and so on.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 March 10 10:44 BST (UK) »
Vetina- have pasted the details from your PM to me on here so we can try to help you.

Adam's marriage in English records will list his father's name and occupation but you've already father's name as John Paterson so the certificate probably won't help you much.

As I said earlier, registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for Adam. There might be a baptism record for him in Ireland but you need to know the family's religion and then see if the church records still exist.