Author Topic: Fitzsimmons/Allen  (Read 17570 times)

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: New to Irish Ancestry - Newtonstewart, Co Tyrone
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 March 10 15:21 GMT (UK) »
There is a probable marriage in the index to civil registration in Gortin Registration district in 1861 (vol6 pg123) - spelling "Fitzsummons/Allin".  http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/#p=collectionDetails;c=1408347

See here for ordering NI certs http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,383526.0.html

Best to phone Registrars Office in Omagh as they will probably provide an uncertified photocopy or transcription for a fraction of the certificate price, but will need exact date/location of marriage for cheapest rates. http://www.omagh.gov.uk/council_online/registration/

Hope this helps

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 March 10 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks to you both for your help.

I phoned Omagh and spoke to a really helpful lady who rang me back within 10 mins and advised me to phone Strabane which I did and the lady there kindly found their marriage for me.  All I have to do is send her a chq for £6 to get a verification (used for genealogy purposes and provides identical info on a certificate).

It would appear that my family came over to Lancashire, England somewhere between the birth of Maria Jane Fitzsimmons in 1869 and the birth of Catherine Fitzsimmons in 1872 as she was born in Preston.

I will have to see whether or not I can find the family in the 1871 England census.

I am really saddened to discover that the censuses for NI did not survive and wonder how I can go about tracing further back past Catherine & William (once I have received the details of the fathers from the verification).  Does anyone have any suggetions please?

Thanks  in anticipation ...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 March 10 17:30 GMT (UK) »
The marriage details will include residences of bride and groom at the time of the marriage (which may not be where they were born or where their families lived). Also, marriages usually take place in bride's church so your next step might be to search for existing church records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 March 10 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, hopefully should have those details sometime next week so I will look forward to the next part of the trail.

Just as a matter of interest, which Parish does Gortin fall within please?

Thanks ...

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 March 10 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    There are three areas known as Gortin in Co. Tyrone but the one you are looking for, near Newtownstewart, is in the parish of BODONEY LOWER.

REgards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 March 10 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kingskerswell.

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 March 10 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Am concerned a bit about the Marriage veriification I will receive as I have just been on a PPV site and got the details from there and it does not give any other details other than William Fitzsimmons, Farmer, Kiltymore and Catherine Anne Allin (Allen) of Corrick.  In the notes section here is a bit about Corrick Meeting House Parish of Upper Bodoney but there are no other details at all.  Is it still best for me to go ahead and get the marriage verification direct from Strabane?  I don't understand why the parents' details are missing  ???

Have also googled Kiltymore (nothing at all I can come up with) and Corrick (would like to know where these 2 places are/were)

Anyone got any suggestions please?

Thanks in anticipation ...

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 March 10 14:09 GMT (UK) »
a Civil marriage cert (using the references akanex2 mentioned) will usually include father's names, and occupations - see : Details on a Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 March 10 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Corrick Presbyterian Church is in the townland of Upper Badoney and is sometimes known as Badoney Presbyterian Church. Rev. Samuel Black was minister there 1850-1884.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!