Author Topic: Muriel May Smith/Hamilton  (Read 1715 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Muriel May Smith/Hamilton
« on: Friday 19 March 10 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Looking for relatives of my grgrAunt Muriel May (Mays) Smith
Hoping that if anyone recognises this name that they may contact me.

Muriel was the daughter of Alexander Smith and Janet O'May in 1917 she married James Hamilton who worked at a mill somewhere in Lanarkshire as a costing clerk, whilst his father worked at the same place as a foreman. His parents names were James Hamilton and Robina Campbell. Muriels husband James was born 1895 approx. -2yrs.  I found a tree on Ancestry with no known parents for her and her middle name as Kirkwood.  The person whose tree it was I believe was a grandson/grgrandson in America.
Because of the fact that it is this side of 1911 I am hoping that anyone who knows this tree may be able to contact me with regards the information I now hold to all the other relatives belonging to the main stem from which these branches/twigs/ and twiglets evolve.  A long shot I know but here is hoping.   PM me please marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Janet Hammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Muriel May Smith/Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 21 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Muriel Muirina Kirkwood Smith married James Hamilton, the son of James Hamilton and Robina Campbell.  Muriel and James Hamilton had 3 children:Ena C. m. McKinnell; Jennifer; James Stanley Hamilton m. Joyce Lilian Jacob, 02 April 1955,Wycliffe Baptist Church, Reading, Berkshire, England.
James and Joyce immigrated to Queensland, Australia in 1967.  They both died 03 Jan. 2006 and are buried in the Drayton and Toowoomba Cemetery, Toowoomba, Qld, Aust.  They had 4 children [male, female, male, male] all born in England. I am married to the eldest.
Janet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 22 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Muriel Muirina Kirkwood Smith married James Hamilton, the son of James Hamilton and Robina Campbell.  Muriel and James Hamilton had they must have had more than three there eldest son was christopher3 children:Ena C. m. McKinnell; Jennifer; James Stanley Hamilton m. Joyce Lilian Jacob, 02 April 1955,Wycliffe Baptist Church, Reading, Berkshire, England.
James and Joyce immigrated to Queensland, Australia in 1967.  They both died 03 Jan. 2006 and are buried in the Drayton and Toowoomba Cemetery, Toowoomba, Qld, Aust.  They had 4 children [male, female, male, male] all born in England. I am married to the eldest.
Janet
JANET HER NAME WAS THE SAME AS MY GRT GRAN JANET MURIEL O'MAY SMITH HER MOTHER WAS AN janetO'MAYMARRIED TO ALEXANDER SMITH I HAVE COUSINS IN LIVERPOOL AND NEWCASTLE FROM HUGH SMITH WHO WAS EITHER ALEXANDERS FATHER OR GRANDFATHER
IT WAS THEIR ELDEST SON CHRISTOPHER WHO SUFFERED A PSYCHOTIC EPISODE AND KILLED BOTH HIS PARENTS THE OTHERS MARRIED AND RAISED CHILDREN OF THEIR OWN BUT I UNDERSTOOD THAT CHRISTOPHER ON HIS ARRIVAL IN AUSTRALIA WAS TAKEN AWAY AND PLACED INTO AN INSTITUTION NEVER TO BE RELEASED; MAYBE YOU COULD CHECKuP  ON THAT ANY NEWSPAPER CUTTINGS YOU COME ACROSS WOULD BE OF USE TO ME THANKYOU
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 February 22 16:48 GMT (UK) »
marcie please do not type all in capital letters, it looks like you are shouting at folk !

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janet Hammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcie

Christopher Hamilton was the 2nd son, 3rd child of James Stanley Hamilton and Joyce Lillian Jacob.  He killed his parents in Toowoomba, Qld 3 Jan. 2006 .  Drayton and Toowoomba Cemetery records can be accessed online.  James and Joyce's 4 children were born in England but the family immigrated to Australia in 1967.  I am the wife of their eldest child who is not Christopher!  James Stanley Hamilton (my husband's father) was the youngest of three children to James Hamilton and Muriel Muirina Kirkwood Smith.  They were Ena (informant on her father's death certificate in 1959 ), Jennifer and of course James Stanley Hamilton (b. 14 Dec. 1930, 7 Arden Place, Thornliebank).  I do not know if Ena and Jennifer are living.  Ena married McKinnell and I understand Jennifer didn't marry.  James Stanley Hamilton was reluctant to discuss family history so very little is known about my husband's Hamilton ancestors.  I am so pleased to read your information posted on this site in relation to the family.

Janet Hammy.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 August 22 02:24 BST (UK) »
so do I take it that james married twice?and i am related to both sides of the family. as robin campbell is the daughter of the chief of the clan campbell,maybe you can find out for me something on my laidlaw side of my family. such as on colonsay there is a mentionon   the cemetaph werethe ferry used tocome in before they sta, his name is started building s bigger port/ferry terminal around the back of the island  his name is peter laidlaw,I wnt to find out if he ws born  there if so who tobecause as far as i a aware all of our famiy .nopeter mentioned anywhere amongst themwere all born on the mainland, but this one ismentioned as though he fought smewherrcame or lived there and was buried there somewhere in the church grounds as thoughhe belonged there, Imut sfmit that maybe he was an objevtor didnt want to fight and moved there so no-one would know where he was ,but then how did he die and to be remembered that way as though he cme from the island and fought for his country, all my family are johns(my grt granfather fought in india during the uprising, I nearly had an argument with jimi1 for on thing he called me marciawhich i am not.
then he said i was getting confuse between the boer war and the firt world war which I wasnt. my grt grandfatherwas in 18th hussars cavalry, lat but  ot lea he stateed he couldnt have won the bar ad rose for gallantry because it isnt registered st the aldershot barracks nothing there mentions a john laidlaw being awarded any such medal,  for a start he would have reported to the queens holy rood house palace in edinburgh whose name i cant remember, due to my stroke androbert jimmi or james and alexandertheir first son was john walker laidlaw but he was found dead on the night of theirfirst anniversary.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 22 02:38 BST (UK) »
I s also given to understand they were murdered upon a ship. and that is why i said upon his arrival he was taken away never tobe set free again.
my familyare related to most of the svottiih families. gordons the hamltond th sutherlsnds the frasersditntly related to thh marquis o salisbury.
 searl rogers sutherland