Author Topic: Mason?? 'Too Grand...' id please  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Mason?? 'Too Grand...' id please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 May 22 23:50 BST (UK) »
Have you searched the brothers on census' to see if there are clues or info. on the BMDs of any children?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Kateharding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for responses. The clarification on ‘The Buffs’ makes sense and gives another avenue to explore - thank you.

One brother was definitely in the masons, and the age is about right, so I’m leaning towards him. The other is probably too young and I’m not aware of a link to the masons, but he lived in the right area for the photo studio. I’ve been through all the census records etc - now trying newspaper records to give some more information.

Many thanks

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 11:32 BST (UK) »
There are initials on the two badges on the Collar, F.S. is on his left lapel but the other is unclear. I've looked up RAOB on their website & Wiki and they do not seem to have any offices with those initials.

The waistcoat/collar is unlike any Freemason regalia I'm aware of, so which Order he is a member of is a puzzle.

Michael.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 12:25 BST (UK) »
What were the brother's names?
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Kateharding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 13:16 BST (UK) »
They were Henry and Sydney Herbert. There were other brothers too, that I’ve found varying amounts out about - John, James, Albert and Walter. They originated in Abberley, Worcestershire.

I’ve attached Henry’s gravestone - definitely in the Freemasons!

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 14:11 BST (UK) »
There is a long death notice in the Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald - Saturday 20 January 1906, for a Henry Herbert who died on 11th January 1906.

It's all about his life as a mason, the masons who went to his funeral and other details of his life. It's too long for me to copy out the whole thing, but here are some of the main details.

"He was a Past Grand Standard bearer of the Province of Kent, a Past W.M. of the military jubilee lodge and at the time of his death, he held the office of treasurer of the Lodge. He was also a Steward of the Boys' and Girls' Masonic institution."

There is a brief list of condolence notices, one of which reads "From Lieut-Colonel Hamilton, his old commander in 'The Buffs'."

So I would say, if it is Herbert, his regalia could be connected to one of those offices.

EDIT: I see upthread someone had asked which lodge he was a member of. The lodge 'Military Jubilee Lodge, Royal Arch Chapter No 2,195' is specifically listed in the obit.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 19:53 BST (UK) »
I now think the person in the photo is a member of the OddFellows, and the collar appears to be that of Financial Secretary who sits with the Treasurer.

Michael.

Offline Kateharding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 June 22 04:30 BST (UK) »
It’s great to see someone wearing the same collar style as my man!
From a quick google, although Oddfellows and masons were separate organisations, some people were in both.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 20:38 BST (UK) »
  Just a side issue - it is quite confusing to use the term "Buffs" for members of the RAOB. This may be the nickname used by members, but it sent the enquirer down the path after the East Kent Regiment also know as the Buffs! 
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire