Author Topic: Phillips Callbeck or Callbeck  (Read 2286 times)

Offline corden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Phillips Callbeck or Callbeck
« on: Friday 19 March 10 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Good day all,

I am trying to track down information (birth place and parentage) of a Mr. Phillips Callbeck (or possibly Calbeck), born c. 1744, died 1790.

Family tradition has that he was born and educated in Dublin and emigrated to Canada around 1770.  However, I have seen some articles which list Bath as his place of birth.

If anyone is familiar with this surname (or even this fellow), I would be most appreciative.  It is my hope to trace my family roots further back past this fellow, which would take me out of Canada.

Thank you,

-C

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips Callbeck or Callbeck
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 March 10 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi corden,

The only records I can see of the name CALBECK in Somerset seem to be submitted entries on the IGI so may not be correct

There is an Ann CALLBECK baptised 16 Mar 1779 Westminster parents PHILLIPS and Ann

Link to thread on Irish Boards

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,445042.msg3078050.html#msg3078050

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline corden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 March 10 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Kris,

Thank you - that makes sense.. One of Phillips' children with wife Anne Coffin was a daughter Ann Callbeck, who I have it written as was born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island (no birth date listed) and died in Halifax, Sept 19, 1853.

And yes, I also posted this n the Irish boards to cross list, to see if family tradition may or may not be correct...

Cheers!

Offline karaokeprincezz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 22 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I know this character!

He attended King's Inn Court in Dublin in 1766. Was appointed by King George to Attorney General of the Isle of St. John (Prince Edward Island) in 1770.  He married Ann Coffin in late 1770s and had a family with her. After his death Ann moved to Bath, England and is buried there.  I believe their daughter Ann moved to England with her mother and married.  If she returned home to Prince Edward Island I do not know. 

Phillips also had a child (I am trying to determine if this was a previous marriage or not) with Catharine Morris.  His name was Phillips Morris.  He was born about 1770-1771, family lore says in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  I am not convinced as there are scant records in the colonies.  Phillips Morris migrated to PEI and sought out his half siblings.  He wanted to have the use of his father's last name.  There were ruffled feathers and hurt feelings but he persisted.  I think this is truly why Ann left.  Phillips and Ann's children migrated either to England or to the US.

Most of the Callbecks on PEI are related to Phillips Callbeck through Phillips Morris Callbeck.

Facts: Listed as a Freemason in 1765 London Masonic Lodge, Listed as a student at King's Inn Court, Dublin, Phone Directory listing in 1780s as Attorney, Was listed in Freemen of Dublin about 1765.

Outside of this information the case goes cold.  If you have anything to add that may be new... please share with the group.