Author Topic: licensed Victualler  (Read 4490 times)

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
Re: licensed Victualler
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 March 10 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi - lots of references and names of pubs connected with the Flaggs in the London Gazette. Henry seems to have been in prison as an insolvent debtor in 1841 but rose to victual once more.

Have a look at these, first mentions Benjamin too:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/20001/pages/1945 (column 2)

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/22008/pages/1999 (column 1)

Similar story for Robert:
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/20656/pages/3868 (column 1)

Regards
Rob

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 March 10 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Pigot’s Directory of London, 1836

Flagg B. Turks Head, PH  35 King st, High Holborn
Flagg Henry, Sutherland Arms Hotel, 6 & 7 Great May's buildings, St Martin's lane
Flagg Robert, White Hart PH  Whitehart yard, Brooke st, Holborn
Flagg William, beer retailer, 36 Cumberland market
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 March 10 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I assume this article refers to Benjamin Flagg...

The Times, Friday, Jan 27, 1837; pg. 7; Issue 16324; col E

"Police"

HATTON-GARDEN. - Yesterday, Mr. Flagg, landlord of the Turk's-head, King-street, Bloomsbury, was summoned for suffering disorderly characters to assemble in his house, and with having assaulted Mr. Grimwood, the Superintendent of E division, and Inspector Cambell.  Elizabeth Foy and William Fidler was also charged with assaults.
   It appeared in evidence, that the Superintendent, Inspector Cambell, and Sergeant Baker, proceeded to the house of Mr. Flagg in pursuit of a felon, at 12 o'clock on Saturday morning, and after being admitted with difficulty, they were surrounded and beaten by the defendants, and turned out of the house.  Mr. Flagg struck Inspector Cambell a violent blow on the head, and the woman Foy, the servant, used excessive violence, whilst Fidler attacker Sergeant Baker, and endeavoured to deprive him of his staff, and the party they were in search of escaped. The case being clearly proved, the defendant, Flagg, was convicted in the penalty of 2L for suffering disorderly conduct in his house, and 5L for the assault upon Inspector Cambell.  Foy was fined 3L or six weeks imprisonment, and Fidler 2L or a month's imprisonment.
   Mr. Laing told Mr. Flagg unless his fine was paid for the assault, he would be committed to the House of Correction for two months.  The money was eventually paid.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline flaggysmob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 March 10 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you all for replying to my post I have learned so much more now than just a pub name .
Dave, Benjamin Flagg is my direct descendent being my GGG Granddad my father always said in later life Benjamin ended up in the poor house I think he said in Poplar ( will have to check his notes ).wonder if it was his thuggish behaviour that lead to his downfall? he died in 1866 at the age of 61
once again thanks for all your replies this is a great website
Ian :)

Offline flaggysmob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Now I have all these pub names. Only the Flying horse now called the Tottenham thanks to Snowyw still going as far as I can work out does anyone know of a website that might have pictures of the pubs?
Many Thanks
Ian :)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Try the Francis Frith Collection which contains postcards for many pubs in the first quarter of the 20th century.

If you haven't found a picture of a pub which still exists on Kevan's dead pubs site try:

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/

By the way if you find details and people not on Kevan's site do send him a PM

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk