Author Topic: Research Needham WWII  (Read 4864 times)

Offline De grijze

• --
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Research Needham WWII
« on: Sunday 21 March 10 17:47 GMT (UK) »
:) Hi everyone,

a friend of my is searching for the family-tree of a certain Needham John Joseph ,
Hereby some information Name: Needham John Joseph
Born: 2/5/1913 in San Francisco
Nationality: Canadian
Family address during the War: Mrs. Alice Needham, Mountain View, California
Name of the father: not known
Mother’s name: not known
Rank: F/O = Flying Officer  R.C.A.F. = Royal Canadian Air Force
Number: J 13275
He signed up in Vancouver B.C. on 9/8/1941
He was dismissed in Vancoiver B.C. on 22/8/1945 as Flight Lieutenant
Medals: 1939-1945 Star, Air Crew Europ Star,          Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with Clasp and War Medal 1939-1945
Taken prisoner of war by the Germans:  4/7/1943 Geetbets Belgium
Prisoner of War number 1784.
Was held prisoner of war in Stalag Luft 3, on 8/1/1944 transferred to Stalag Luft 4, from Stalg Luft 4 tot  Stalag III A Oflag date not known.
Date of liberation: not known.
IS there anyone who can help us ?
Thank you in advance
Degri

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Research Needham WWII
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 March 10 20:49 GMT (UK) »
The California birth index has a birth for a John J Needham on 2 May 1913 in San Fransisco County. His mother's maiden surname was Hogan.

On the 1920 US census he is listed as follows in Menlo Park, San Mateo, California:

Alice M Needham, head, 40, widow, born Iowa, father born New York, mother born Ohio
John J Needham, son, 6, born California, father born Ireland, mother born Iowa
Thomas M Needham, son, 4-1/2, born California, father born Ireland, mother born Iowa

On the 1930 US census his listed as follows in Township 3, San Mateo, California:

Alice M Needham, head, 52, widow, age at first marriage 34, born Iowa, father born New York, mother born Ohio, nurse in hospital & homes
John J Needham, son, 16, born California, father born Irish Free State, mother born Iowa
Thomas M Needham, son, 15, born California, father born Irish Free State, mother born Iowa

In the California Voter Registration database there is an entry from 1914 for Mrs. Alice Needham at 454 - 29th Avenue, San Francisco. At the same address is Michael J. Needham, chauffeur.

It seems more likely that John Needham wasn't Canadian but is listed as such because he joined the RCAF. Because of the late entry of the US in WWII, a number of Americans did come to Canada to join the Canadian military in order to fight.

If you have access to Ancestry, there is a public tree which includes John Needham. His parents are listed as Michael J Needham and Alice Martha Hogan and he has the birthdate you listed. It indicates he married Joanne Doreen Allard on 29 Aug 1949 in San Jose, Santa Clara County, California and died on 4 Feb 1990 in Monroe, Louisiana. The tree even has a picture of John and his wife late in life.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 March 10 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I've found some articles in the Oakland Tribune which indicates Michael Needham was robbed and murdered in 1919. It seems he was reported missing by his wife a couple of days before his body was found on 31 Oct 1919 (he was reported missing on Wednesday and found Friday of the same week). It appears that 6 youths were arrested and convicted of his murder. How terribly tragic. 

Again, if you have access to Ancestry if you search the Oakland Tribune for Michael Needham there are 4 articles dated 1919 in the results which give details.

It would appear this inquiry should be moved to the US forum. There may be RootsChatters there who can provide more information.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline De grijze

• --
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 March 10 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jacquie,

Thank you very much for your quick and detailed answer. My friend was looking for this information for over a year without any result. He is very pleased , He wants to get in touch with relatives of John Joseph Needham, perhaps he has children and it would be good to start looking in Monroe Louisiana I think?

Many thanks again for this valuable information and in such a short time! Unbelievable,

Degri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 March 10 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your quick and detailed answer. My friend was looking for this information for over a year without any result. He is very pleased , He wants to get in touch with relatives of John Joseph Needham, perhaps he has children and it would be good to start looking in Monroe Louisiana I think?

If your friend has access to Ancestry I would strongly suggest that he contact the owner of the tree I referred to as the person may be a child of John Needham. The picture of John and his wife that I referred to in my other post was labelled "Mum and Pop" and the tree indicates they had only one daughter (details are not available). Unfortunately it also says the owner hasn't logged into Ancestry for over 6 months but if they have the same email address then a message sent using Ancestry's contact system will send a notification to their email and hopefully they'll respond.

Jacquie

Offline Champlain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 March 10 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie
Can you send me the newspaper cutting with reference to the murder of Michael Needham please?

Many Thanks

Janice

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 March 10 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie
Can you send me the newspaper cutting with reference to the murder of Michael Needham please?

You need to make 2 more posts (3 in total) to access the personal message system (in this thread or any other - doesn't matter). Once you have, then please PM me your email address and I'll send them to you. It's against RC rules to post email addresses in this part of the forum. If you need help with the PM system here's a link to the help section about it:
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Jacquie

Offline Champlain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 March 10 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Jackie
I was not sure of the rules here.

regards

janice

Offline Champlain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 March 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie

I hope that we can make contact?

Many Thanks

Janice