Author Topic: Where is the best place to hunt down an elusive relative?  (Read 3806 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the best place to hunt down an elusive relative?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Most of the deaths I have show a very quick burial within 4 or 5 days.... I think that was perhaps normal in those days. Maybe things were simpler then.   I know from recent experience that organising a funeral these days in anything  less than 10 -14 days is quite an achievement (even when you do now it is coming).

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline classicgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy Climbing Trees!! LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 April 10 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody, Here is my promised update.
just got George Whites death certificate through yesterday, still no answers as yet. It is the right George, but no next of kin is listed, etc, However there was an inquest held on his death on 9th November 1931 Shillingbourne division, Kent. As he died by coal gas poisoning, self induced whilst of unsound mind! Bless him, no wonder my husbands family never spoke about him. His occupation was listed as a Naval invalid pensioner.
Any idea if the coroners reports are accessable, if so where?
Will try and post this on the Kent board too.

Thanks again for all your help

Happy Hunting

Carolyn  :)
White - Sheerness,Gillingham,Kent
Richardson - Hawick, Rox
Lunn - Durham, Lincoln
Wilson - Lincoln
Smith - Lincoln

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 April 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Carolyn

How sad.

Someone else might be able to advise you about coroner's reports.

I was advised to try local newspapers to look for reports about a suicide which took place in 1839. The County Records office gave me advice about which newspapers were the most likely to have coverage. Because the death cert gave a date it was easy to find the information I required. The details from the inquest were reported in 3 different local newspapers and included the names of his widow, stepdaughter and the neighbour who found the body.

Hope you find out more.

Angela