Author Topic: Where is the best place to hunt down an elusive relative?  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the best place to hunt down an elusive relative?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 March 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I can't open it either at the moment, may be a technical or maintenance issue with the site - it was OK yesterday.  This is the full link

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~penney/

or google "colin penney sheppey".  Hopefully it'll be back up & running soon, there are lots of interesting bits & bobs on there.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 March 10 19:33 GMT (UK) »
There are loads of Whites around the Bournemouth area.  Definately from 1930's my mum went to school with a Margaret White and I went to school with Verley.

They seemed to favour the Royal/Merchant Navy and RAF.

I know that this does not help, but there could be connections further down the line if you are coming forward before going back in time.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline classicgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy Climbing Trees!! LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 March 10 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
I  agree, there are a lot of Whites in the Royal Navy, and this George is on the coast, so it wouldn't suprise me to find they came along the coast in your area too.
Happy Hunting
White - Sheerness,Gillingham,Kent
Richardson - Hawick, Rox
Lunn - Durham, Lincoln
Wilson - Lincoln
Smith - Lincoln

Offline classicgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 March 10 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Sloe Gin, Thanks for the link info, still out of action at the mo. However, I think you have pegged the right George White with the burial date, as I have just noted a diary ( we believe belongs to my husbands grand father) which states,"dad died on Nov 7th 1931 and was buried on the 10th!! Which seems to match with the info you found, though why the haste in burial is beyond me! was there an epidemic going on? and I am pleased that you seem to have pegged him down back in Sheerness area, when in the 1911 census he was in Oundle, Northants.

Thank you once again for your help :)
Richardson - Hawick, Rox
Lunn - Durham, Lincoln
Wilson - Lincoln
Smith - Lincoln

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 March 10 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I was just looking for George on th e1881 census, to get more of a clue about his parents etc, to try to help find his birth registration (possible scenarios such as born before marriage and registered in mothers maiden name etc)

But I havent found him - the obvious contender was Rg11 1753 50 9, an 8 yr old George White born Sheerness, with mother Jane and siblings, but going back to 1871 RG10 986 110 9 shows that her husband was James, (a tailor) not George.

What occupation does the marriage cert give for George senior?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 March 10 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Now this other George White is on 1901 in Grays Essex (that is where that family had gone to by 1881) and is then George E White ... so it looks as if he is the one whose birth reg has already been found (George Edward White) the year before.
So it really doesnt look as if that birth reg is 'your' George.

So I wonder what name he was reg'd in, and where he is as a child?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline classicgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 March 10 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yep I keep coming up against the same list of George Whites too, very frustrating.
The occupations listed on the marriage certificate states that his father, George was a painter as was the brides( Elizabeth Jane Brown )father (john brown)

His birth has got to be somewhere, so will just have to keep on looking.

Thanks for Looking too, its much appreciated  :)
Richardson - Hawick, Rox
Lunn - Durham, Lincoln
Wilson - Lincoln
Smith - Lincoln

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 March 10 22:37 GMT (UK) »
That's good news that we have his death anyway.  The PRs for Minster, Sheppey (which includes Sheerness) are on one of the CD compendiums published by Kent FHS, so I would definitely post a request on the Kent board.  Someone is bound to have access to it.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 March 10 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered that some of the information on George's marriage certificate could be made up? I came across a marriage record recently for a relative's ancestor. He had an unusual name and I had found him on all census records before and after his marriage and I had also found his baptism record in Parish Records. His father was an Ag Lab on all records.

By the time he married, both of his parents had died. On the marriage certificate he gave the right name for his father, but the occupation was not Ag Lab!

If your George's father had been dead for some time, perhaps George didn't know his father's occupation and just put the same as his spouse's father.

Of course this won't help you to find him, but we can't always believe what our ancestors decided to put on certificates. We always hope that they were truthful, but I'm sure some details were not known and/or made up.

Keep on looking and good luck.
Angela