Author Topic: Sarwen or Carwen place names in Anglesey  (Read 10461 times)

Offline abbeyfield

• RIP 1941-2008
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarwen or Carwen place names in Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 February 06 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I am certain that Gaerwen is the place you are looking for,I spent my honeymoon there in 1963.
I see you are also looking for Catherine in Amlwch,now the finest site without any doubt whatsoever for Amlwch is Neil Summers site at.
http://www.amlwchdata.co.uk
In the 1851 census of Amlwch it lists 2 Catherines of about the age you are looking for and also at least 1 baptism.
I know it is very unlikely but I am also researching Evans at Amlwch,in my case the family of William Evans,if you find any links with your research drop me a line.
Good hunting
abbeyfield
Mannix (Ireland),Edwards (Caernarfon),Smith (Liverpool),Germaine (Co.Kildare),Rice (Co.Kildare)Kenyon (Lancashire),Ratcliff (Lancashire),Fitzwilliams (England especially Lancashire)

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 February 06 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there , thanks for your input, I had found the Amlwch website previously as you say an excellant site and from there found the 2 Catherine's you have mentioned, and I feel 100% certain that one of them is my Gt grandmother I believe she may have been living with her grandmother, I have followed through on census as I know she lived in Liverpool and she is shown there from 1861 with Richard Evans and Sarah Evans as her parents. Richard being born in Anglesey and Sarah in Aberystwyth, both Richard and Catherine are shown as coming from Carwen and I am as certain as you that it is Gaerwen.She is traceable on census from 1851 through to 1891 Up to now I have not been able to trace her birth cert with Richard as her father, but a marriage cert has turned up in Liverpool for Catherine married to my Gt Grandfather Richard Jones, but her fathers name is shown as William Evans, don't get to excited could he be yours.

The interesting point is that there is approx 6/7 years age  difference between Catherine's parents her mother being the older and it has now been suggested that maybe perhaps her mother was widowed and had remarried, so now I  am applying again for Catherine's birth cert and see if it can provide any more clues, if it does I will let you know , cheers for now Liverbird
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline chris.perry

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 February 06 20:43 GMT (UK) »
If you havea look at the Genuki website, Holyhead and Amlwch -look at the old map you will find Gaerwen near to Amlwch. That was indeed news for me as I thought there was only one Gaerwen - and I only live 20 miles away! 

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Chris , I will check that one out. Cheers Liverbird
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline Glenys Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 July 14 20:46 BST (UK) »
The place by Amlwch is Burwen.  Just a small hamlet

Offline dojoto

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 03:03 BST (UK) »
Gaerwen is very close to Llangristiolus as well.  I've found so many little differences/errors on various documents it's hard to take any one of them as 100% accurate.  Don't put too much value on birthdates.  The margin of error on censuses is bigger than you might expect.

Offline Diana Humphries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 August 15 10:49 BST (UK) »
I grew up on a small farm between Bull Bay and Burwen. One of our neighbouring farms was (is) Gaerwen, well off the beaten track and accessible thro Tyddyn Waen on the A5025. I can imagine a capital G looking like an S?

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 18:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your input I have just returned from Anglesey and am very satisfied that the area is just off the main road through the island, I also found the area my gt gt grandmother was born in, and it was not shown on the ordinance map but talking with people soon put me on track. And that is what is so great about this forum, everyone wants to help.

Offline Diana Humphries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 23:43 BST (UK) »
Glad you've resolved the problem! Hope you enjoyed the Beautiful Island !