Author Topic: Early churches in Bangor parish  (Read 3692 times)

Offline dollard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Early churches in Bangor parish
« on: Tuesday 22 March 05 03:56 GMT (UK) »
My Burns ancestors were in Ballygrot in Bangor parish at least by 1780. The only Presbyterian churches I can find in the area don't seem to have started up until the 1840's. I wonder where Presbyterians would have gone for church rituals in the 1700's in this area?
Burns, McCormick, Hunter, and Allen in Ulster.
Buchan in Perth
Macaulay in South Uist, Invernesshire

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Early churches in Bangor parish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 05 21:04 GMT (UK) »
" A History of Congregations of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland  1610 - 1982 "
I paid a visit to the local library and had a look at this book as I was sure that there were Presbyterians in Bangor in the early 1600s as the local landlords were from Presbyterian families.

Between 1623 - 1636 they used Bangor Abbey. In 1668 a Presbyterian meeting house was built at Fisher Hill (now known as Victoria Road) in the town. In the mid 1700s a new meeting hall was built at Quay Street and in the mid 1800s the congregation moved from there to a Church in Upper Main Street. In Groomsport, about four miles from Bangor a new congregation started in 1841 and until their church was built in 1843 their prayer meetings were held in private houses. 

Offline dollard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 05 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christopher. I'll have to see if I can find that book. I guess none of those early church records are available as I can't see them listed anywhere. My relatives lived in Ballygrot. I wonder if they could have used the church in Dundonald-it has records going back to 1678. Or would they have to stay within their parish?
Buchan in Perth

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 March 05 22:13 GMT (UK) »
You may have to look in the Church of Ireland Records - the explanation is contained in this URL. Records for Bangor Abbey could be a possible starting point - http://www.proni.gov.uk/records/church.htm

Page not found

Offline dollard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 March 05 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again. I have so much to learn about finding Irish records. 
Buchan in Perth