Author Topic: Looking for Hugh Gattens/Gaten of Londonderry  (Read 1321 times)

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Looking for Hugh Gattens/Gaten of Londonderry
« on: Tuesday 23 March 10 03:17 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the baptism of Hugh Gattens (Or Gaten).  All I know is that he is from Londonderry and was born around 1813.

I first found him on the 1851 Census in Saint Botolph Aldgate London where he is described as being Born 1813 in Londonderry Ireland.  His occupation is a Journeyman Tailor.

His wife Mary Gattens was born 1817 in Limerick and was a Tailoress.

Their son John has Gattens as his surname on this Census, but future records have Gaten as the surname, so not sure if the records will show as Gattens or Gaten for Hugh.

No sign of him on the 1841 Census, so he must have travelled to London post 1840.

Most grateful for any help.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Hugh Gattens/Gaten of Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    The 1831 census (really a religious headcount) for Co. Londonderry is largely intact. It lists a Hugh Gatens and a Phillip Gatens as head of households in the parish of Drumachose, Newtownlimavady, now called Limavady. No other names similar to Gattens/Gaten are listed.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Hugh Gattens/Gaten of Londonderry
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that.  Very much appreciated.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale